AZ RANGER

Oct. Coues hunt unit 31

I am new to the forum and am glad I found it. I have hunted unit 32 for as long as I can remember and while I have hunted coues a little with bow I generally always hunt mullies. This year I got a wild hair and decided to put in for the 31 whitetail oct. hunt, mostly becuase it is close to home and easier to scout.I know a few decent areas that I have been scouting a little since getting drawn, but I dont have a lot of confidence just yet. I dont have the best for optics and I cant afford a guide. I know people dont want to share thier favorite hunting spots with everybody,but some general suggestions would be cool. I am not nessesarly looking for a record buck just an enjoyable hunt. I live in Safford any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It is difficult to give you the advice on where to hunt since I don?t know what type of terrain or vegetation that you like to hunt in, or how you hunt. Some people might like to hunt big mountains with big canyons, and others may like to hunt rolling hills. Some might like to hunt the thick oak and manzanita, and some may like open areas with ocotillo and mesquite. It all depends on your personal preference. The only thing that I can tell you is to get maps, and get out and drive and find where you can get into and where you can?t, access is a big issue. Find areas that look good to you and meet your hunting style. Getting into more difficult areas will usually mean fewer hunters to deal with. I believe deer can be found all over and most large canyons will have deer in them.

Welcome AZ Ranger! This is a great site! I'm sure you will like it.

I happen to draw a 32 mullie tag this year. I have a few maps of the unit, maybe you could help me as well!

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies,

As far as the type of country I like to hunt ?I would have to say I prefer the more open areas with ocotillo and mesquite and juniper, I try and stay away from the really thick manzenetta only becuase it is a chore to hike through. The places I would hunt in 32 were as far off the beaten path as I could get. I am no stranger to hiking in fact often my job requires it. I like to drive as far back in on 4wd roads as I can and then hike from there. There is nothing I hate more than to spend a day hiking only to come across somebody driving down a road that I spent all day hiking to. So I know that maps are important for that as well as identifing terrain. I do have the F.S. map of the pineleno range but i still need to get some topo maps. My optics are 20x50 pentax that I have had for years and are not in the best shape not to mention there mediocore quality to began with. they mount to a silk tripod, I also have 10x Stieners that I sometimes use depending on the country I'm in.

I happen to draw a 32 mullie tag this year. I have a few maps of the unit, maybe you could help me as well

MORE D I 'd be happy to share some info with you. Which hunt did you draw? where you from. PM me

thanks guys

Scott

Try scouting the area north and east of Bear Canyon which is a canyon out of Arivipai Canyon on the west side of Santa Teresa's. Be careful though, a lot of this country is locked out. I hunted a couple of years ago here and north to the reservation but like I said a lot of it is now locked. :)

thanks Arizona Griz,

That appears to all be state land up to the reservation, do you know the reason for the closures?

When I was doing my road inventories this year, the road to Landsman camp is closed to private land. Also there is a new updated 2003 series forest service map which is better than the old one. It also shows the new boundary on the north side of the Santa Teresas with the reservation. The reservation got those sections of forest land which cherry stemed into the reservation.

thanks Arizona Griz,

That appears to all be state land up to the reservation, do you know the reason for the closures?

The areas that I am refering to have private property before the state land or National Forest. The owner used to let hunters thru and even had a Game & Fish sign in log but has since locked the road that goes back to the reservation and east of his property thru Bear Canyon. You might want to talk to him and win him over. Good Luck on your hunt.