I believe that one of the biggest things to do is go out and scout as many times as possible. Like Becker said these coues hide very well, so by scouting you will be able to pick up traits about coues such as where they like to bed and stay hidden. This will allow you to glass in areas that have higher odds of finding coues other than scanning the whole hillside with no patterns. Another big thing to me is staying out for the whole day (if you can). I just listened to Jay Scott's podcast which said that many deer get up and move around 10-11 a.m. and I could not agree with this more. If you don't have amazing glass it is very difficult to spot coues when bedded, but when they stand up and move a little bit it is a huge advantageous (especially for amateur glassers like my self). I would say that half of the coues that my family have taken has been between 10-12, so stay out there and keep glassing places that you have already gone over 30 times, because the deer will show up.

Thanks a lot for the tip! Im gonna try and find the podcast and make sure I listen to them all and get all the knowledge I can from listening to them.

Get tip for staying out even during the middle of the day.... I would have never thought of staying out during those times and would probably think to nap during that time of the day.

Thank you!

Listen to this podcast: http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/57909-finding-and-hunting-giant-coues-bucks-with-devin-beck/?do=findComment&comment=561059

As far as which unit to go with, any of the southern units will be good. Any of the 36's, 34's 35's, 33, 32. Each unit offers 4 different rifle seasons so put in for the one that is convenient for you. You should know that the late December hunts are going to be the more difficult to draw hunts but almost all the others should be almost guaranteed tags. Once you get a tag learn the unit using many resources such as this website, Google earth, azgfd website, and even the wildlife manager for the unit. Find some country that looks "deery" and pick it apart with your newly purchased 15's. I don't think you will have any trouble finding them. Also keep in mind that while hunting the southern units you may have encounters with illegal aliens.

Kennyazman:

Ok Ill be sure to look into those southern units as well. And is it better for the 1st october hunt or the late november hunt? due to deer being pressured at the end of november and then being warmer at the end of october. Which would have the most advantages?

I have already tried looking on google earth to scout but not sure on what to look for on the maps? Just high mountains or what am I looking for when looking on internet maps?

Thank you!

Johnnie Blaze:

Thats what I want to do, but none of my friends hunt or have guns or anything so just flying solo for the time being. I know it definitely would be easier to glass hills when you have two sets of eyes scanning mountains and fingers of hills..

Thank you!

OP, you have been misinformed. There are no deer in AZ. Or elk. Or antelope. Just millions of coyotes. Go do your thing on them, and maybe the deer will come back to AZ.

• Like 1

roninflag:

No i haven't. but a couple coyotes and I started reloading for it.

Is there a unit that you would recommend close to phx to start scouting and put in for?

And thats what I've been reading to get in shape and hike in and get off the roads because a lot of people just road hunt?

Deerhunter- i have competed with my 300 mags out to 1000 yards. i would load a 150 berger or cbt; or a 168 beger or cbt. the lighter bullets have less kick, are flatter and less wind drift out to 500-600 yards. after that the longer heavier ones like the 175,185 and 210 do help. i would use what ever shoots the best group at 200 and 400. ( sorry if you di not ask this question just helping.) ron

roninflag:

No i haven't. but a couple coyotes and I started reloading for it.

Is there a unit that you would recommend close to phx to start scouting and put in for?

And thats what I've been reading to get in shape and hike in and get off the roads because a lot of people just road hunt?

Deerhunter- i have competed with my 300 mags out to 1000 yards. i would load a 150 berger or cbt; or a 168 beger or cbt. the lighter bullets have less kick, are flatter and less wind drift out to 500-600 yards. after that the longer heavier ones like the 175,185 and 210 do help. i would use what ever shoots the best group at 200 and 400. ( sorry if you di not ask this question just helping.) ron

Ron:

Ok thank you! Yeah I might try some 168's as well then. I am currently using 185 Berger vld's and at 100 I'm at .6 inches. I'll be sure to try a load for the 168's. What load do you use for your Berger 168's?

Nice I use all Hodgdon extreme powder so nosler brass Berger 185 73grns H4831SC running 2850fps not the fastest but it's consistent. And it's in a savage long range hunter with a McMillan a3 sporter stock I just put on it. With a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ffp

Nice I use all Hodgdon extreme powder so nosler brass Berger 185 73grns H4831SC running 2850fps not the fastest but it's consistent. And it's in a savage long range hunter with a McMillan a3 sporter stock I just put on it. With a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ffp

I just bought the same exact scope. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but wondered what your thoughts were on it.

I just bought the same exact scope. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but wondered what your thoughts were on it.

Love the scope! I have a viper 6.5-20x44 pa on my 7mm rem mag and want to get the razor 4-27x56 for my 300 win mag and put the PST on my 7mm.

I'll always buy vortex quality and warranty hands down the best!

• Like 1

Love the scope! I have a viper 6.5-20x44 pa on my 7mm rem mag and want to get the razor 4-27x56 for my 300 win mag and put the PST on my 7mm.

I'll always buy vortex quality and warranty hands down the best!

Thanks

The 22's are good units and they aren't to far from the phoenix area they hold some great deer some rough country but worth it if you can find them sounds like some pretty solid advice all around. Just get comfortable being those 15's and have a great time.

Please dont listen to these long shot clowns. No 300+ shots needed. Be a hunter not a wounder. Sure they kill more Deer but they dont eat them.

Thank you everyone for the advise! Cant tell you all how much I appreciate all of the insight and hope to see you guys out there.

Still trying to get my buddies into hunting to have a hunting buddy so its not just me so put in alone for these units.

Ended up applying for

1084 Dec 11-Dec 31 Unit 22

1087 Dec 11-Dec 31 Unit 23

1082 Dec 11-Dec 31 Unit 21

1121 Dec 11-Dec 31 Unit 33

1145 Dec 11-Dec 31 Unit 36B

Thank you all,

TJ