Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Need Arctic Cat help!

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 TRV that is having problems. It will not start unless I pump the carb as I am turning it over. Then it will not stay on. It began to stall and backfire just before all of this happened. I have cleaned the air filter, removed and cleaned the carb and jets, emptied and rinsed out the fuel tank, put new gas lines from tank to carb, installed fuel filter in line. None of this had worked. Cannot get the quad started. When it starts very briefly it stalls out when throttled up at all.

PLEASE HELP! ! ! ! !

caburated models are usually gravity fed, and don't require a fuel pump.if it is a carb problem, did you check the float needle for blockage and float level? check the overflow lines, and, or breather lines for blockage. they can sometimes cause a vacuum lock if plugged. check the throttle cable adjustments also. it could be an ignition issue ?

This vintage of arctic cat is about where they switched from a gravity fed tank up fron to a tank in the back with a vaccum drive. Fuel pump. Is the tank in the front or the back. If it's in the front there is no pump. If it's I the back it's under the seat. It's black and has 3 lines going g to it. Also the you can drain the bowl on the carb to see if there is fuel getting to the carb. The float in the carb could be stuck also.

Are you talking about the little lever on the side of the carb for priming? When you pump it do you have the intake off. Can your see fuel being pumped.?

The float needle seat or hole could have a small piece of debris in it? the carb would have to be pulled and the float bowl removed to check it.

I don't know anything about motorcycle/atv repair so take this for what it is worth. I had a 83 S-10 Blazer that acted exactly how this sounds. It would run and then act like starving for fuel or vapor locking, backfiring and then dying. It would start again after 10-15 minutes but no telling how long it would run. I did all the same fixes to it including wires and plugs. It turned out to be a diode trio in the alternator. So check the electrical system as well as fuel.

When you clean the carb did you pull the float bowl? If there is anything like snapshot said it wouldn't let fuel in, so when you pump it once that fuel is burned it will die because no more fuel can get in to keep it running. This is if it is gravity fed. Your float is like a fuel shut off, it will let fuel in or stop fuel from coming in when float bowl is full. Hope this helps.

Update:

Pulled the air filter box, washed it clean.

Pulled the carb and pulled the float and needle. Small plastic piece removed. Cleaned well and reassembled.

Found the gas tank vent line is crushed and the vent line blocked. Reamed out the vent valve and cut hose to get rid of blockage.

Reassembled everything.

SAME PROBLEMS!

The air line from the carb goes about 24"then is not connected to anything. The gas tank vent line goes about 12" and is not connected to anything. Is this correct? If so, there is no vacuum from either hose.

HELP!!!

Ok last update for today. I pulled the fuel line off the petcock and opened it up. Fuel flowed no problem. Put fuel line back on and barely a trickle. Fuel line is brand new. Fuel filter is brand new. Fuel just not getting pulled into the carb. Really frustrated. AHHHHHH!

some fuel filters are directional. see if the filter has an arrow, and is pointing towards the carb.

If no fuel is filling the floatbowl, that means there is a blockage, or a float problem.

Does your carb have a sight glass, or a screw on the side of the bowl where you can identify fuel level?

My Polaris does the same thing. Needs a carb rebuild kit. No amount of cleaning is going to fix it.

And my carbed Polaris has a fuel pump despite what some snot nosed little wanna be nascar mechanic tried to tell me once.