Sign in to follow this  
FB67

New 300 Win to me

Found this 300 Win at a pawn shop for a good price, been looking for one for a while . Had the action re-taped to 8-40 screws for the Talley rail, added a Sightron III 6x24 FFP scope attached with Seekins Rings had Phoenix custom Rifles install a Varmiter bolt knob. Now I need to get out and shoot it when its not so fricken hot out cripes. I am really interested in the scope, I have a few Vortex scopes and like them but just looking through this one at doves in the back yard sure looks like a winner. Hope to get out soon.

post-10684-0-86031000-1434427575_thumb.jpg

post-10684-0-67607700-1434427593_thumb.jpg

post-10684-0-06593100-1434427640_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That is a great looking rifle!

Thanks for the compliments. Took it out to the range today and sighted it in at 100 Yards. I really liked the Sightron III, the reticle is great and the clarity compared to my Vortex may be a tad better. I am going to try and get back out next Friday and get out to 500 yards and see how it shoots and how the scope performs. I think I may really start to like this long range stuff, I will have to tell the kids college is overrated Dad needs an AI in 338 :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments. Took it out to the range today and sighted it in at 100 Yards. I really liked the Sightron III, the reticle is great and the clarity compared to my Vortex may be a tad better. I am going to try and get back out next Friday and get out to 500 yards and see how it shoots and how the scope performs. I think I may really start to like this long range stuff, I will have to tell the kids college is overrated Dad needs an AI in 338 :D

I hear ya, but daddy needs a couple kids with dr. at the front of their name more. Just imagine the Christmas and fathers day gifts theyll be able to afford! ;)

• Like 1

Nice rig. I have had similar Sightron scopes, and love them. Good quality optics at reasonable prices.

post-10684-0-14752700-1435806160_thumb.jpg

Went out today with some hand loads that were given to me by my Dad. He wasn't sure what powder he used years ago but new they were 180 grains rem core lokt :huh: love the stuff he finds in old coffee cans :blink: . I do all my own reloading but I am in the process of moving to a different house and have torn down my reloading room. . Anyway here are some groups I shot today, really liking the Sightron III. First shot high right is the cold bore shot, next 15 are not tight by anyone standards but I think my dad may have been working up a load and thats why you see the three groups that are respectable but all shots were fired on the bullseye.There was a pretty good right to left wind also so a few went a bit left. It was kind of a mystery shoot today but I just needed to get away for a bit and wasn't really concerned about how I shot, bullet BC , powder capacity, jumping the lands , touching the lands, barometric pressure, temperature, or the multitude of other things I could be thinking about. I just squeezed the trigger and worked on my form and worked on forgetting about some shitty weeks I have had lately. Shooting is my best therapy.

• Like 1

Thanks Its definitely a shooter but needs some work. I am going to be away from the range for a month or so but I really want to try and improve my breathing and trigger control so I can be comfortable out to 1000 Yards. I know I would probably never attempt a shot on an animal at that range but I am interested in competing one day and truly enjoy shooting the larger calibers. I was fortunate to pick up a 300 WBY magnum on this forum and as soon as I get my reloading bench back in operation I will be getting that rifle dialed in. I think I may do a fixed power scope on it, kind of a through back style and maybe go to Africa with it in a few years. Its a dream but I think you still get to have dreams without being taxed on them, at least not yet. :(