Sign in to follow this  
billrquimby

BEAR VISITED OUR CABIN

Had some excitement at first light yesterday. Five does and a small buck mule deer were feeding on the wild roses that grow along the edge of our cabin's deck when I got up to make coffee. They were just ten feet from our kitchen window.

This is not unusual, because we see deer all the time at the cabin, but what happened next was.

The deer suddenly jerked their heads up, then bolted. Seconds later a very large black bear walked around the side of my truck and up to where the deer had been, then followed them down my driveway and into the meadow across the road from the cabin.

We've probably seen fewer than a dozen bears at the cabin over the past 41 years, but this was only the second time one got this close to the house.

Bill Quimby

• Like 6

That is so cool! You are fortunate. If I lived in a place like that I might not ever leave home except to go hunting of course. I love just watching wildlife.

As said by Rod Stewart, "Some guys have all the luck!"

• Like 3

Had one come up on my porch back in UT. He woke me up slamming the lid on the BBQ, was collared problem bear. Later that night he busted thru a neighbor's screen door and got smacked over the head by a teenage gal wielding a frying pan.

Following evening he went through another neighbor's screen door and the resident woke up to a bear sitting beside his bed, licking his arm. He startles the bear with a scream and punch to the nose and the bruin craps himself exiting the home. Resident can't sleep so he sits on the front porch with a 12 ga. Bear returns 90 minutes later and is shot with a slug at 15'

Turns out the bear had infected canine and becoming emaciated and looking for easy chow.

• Like 1

it's cool living where critters are in the yard a lot, ain't it Bill? when we're at the nuevo rancho neglecto, every morning when i get up i kinda sneak around and look out all the windows to see what might be in the yard. we had a young bear stay with us for a week or so last fall. anytime you went outside he was there somewhere eating acorns. got a buncha photos and video. we see pigs, white tail, muleys, turkeys, bobcats, foxes, bandtails, etc, all on a regular basis. about a year ago 2 foxes treed a bobcat just below the gate. one of the more unusual things i've ever seen. you best get a tag, he might come back. Lark.

Right on, Lark.

It's a lot more fun to wake up with wolves, bears, elk and deer in the yard up here than the puny little bobcats and javelinas we see around our place in Tucson in the winter.

No tag needed. I have no plans to kill another bear. I already have two rugs, and there's not a big enough gun to make me eat one of those greasy things.

Bill Quimby