Sign in to follow this  
kingofcoues

whats up with 30B?

For the passed few years I have been thinking about putting in for the early 30B white tail hunt, but every year when the draw results come out there are always left overs. I have been down towards Bisbee and the terrain is perfect for couesies, so why do so many hunter avoid this unit?

This is my guess. I would bet there is quite a bit of private land and it is difficult to hunt because of access issues. I don't know that for sure but that would be my guess. I've hunted 30A before and access is an issue.

Just my guess,

recurveman

KINGOFCOUES

Theres only one way to find out what kind of potenial 30B has, and thats to get out there before apps. are due in next year.If you want someone to roll with give me ring :(

Edited by Grey Hawk

Hey Recurve man,

I got drawn for a November hunt in Unit 30A.Would you have any tips about this unit.Heard that Dos Cabezas has a good Coues population but access

is questionable.

Thanks,

ALYUAZ

I also got a 30A left over tag 3 years ago and access was just about impossable.

The west side of Do Cabezas was the hardest. There are G&F sign in books but there are also land owner signs that say "NO HUNTING FOR 6 MILES" So you drive for 6 miles then another sign "NO HUNTING FOR 3 1/2 MILES" and so on. Finally at the top another sign says "NO HUNTING , CAMPING ,TRESPASSING"

From the east there are or were only two areas to gain access, one we only found mulies and the other is full of other hunters.

In 3Days of hard hunting I saw 11 WT does, 5 MD does and one WT fork horn. The fork horn was running with the mule deer does and I did not shot because I did not feel comfortable.

I only quickly scouted the southern part of the unit. At one place they gave me permission to hunt STATE LAND but I had to park at the property entrance to get in, the truck would have been only 3-4 miles back. Another said "There ARNT any coues deer here" while standing under a porch that was FULL of antlers.

I think this is why there are left overs.

Put on you best smile, wink at the owners daughter and you might only have to promise to marry her to get access. GOOD LUCK!

:)

At one place they gave me permission to hunt STATE LAND but I had to park at the property entrance to get in, the truck would have been only 3-4 miles back. Another said "There ARNT any coues deer here" while standing under a porch that was FULL of antlers.

I think I was at that same ranch a couple of years ago and got the EXACT same answer. This ranch was southwest of the Chiricauhuas on the north end of the Swisshelms I think.

Thats the one AZ G! :D I could not remember the "Swisshelms" :D

:)