Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

Question on boots

Anybody using 7-8" tall boots? I'm looking at a couple of different mountain boots and some of them are only 7 and 8 inches tall. My question is for those of you that have used them, do they provide you with enough support when carrying a moderate to heavy load on loose rock? Also, do they protect your upper ankles from the annoying stickers that you pick up from the southern arizona grass? I usually wear a boot that's 9+ inches tall but some of the shorter backpacker/mountaineering boots from asolo and soloman have caught my eye.

Thanks,

Creed

I backpack hunt and I use 7" solomon quest and Lowa caminos. Really happy with both so far, they both give good support. I am lucky to have pretty good ankles so tall boots have never been needed. IMO the way a boot fits YOUR foot is the most important part.

As far as sticker are concerned, I either deal with them or wear lightweight gaiters or snake gaiters depending on time of year and location.

I wear the low-cut Meindl Perfekt Hiker. Great support for AZ hunting/hiking. They vent heat from my feet better than hightops, and hold up very well. Most support is in the foot bed, not so much in the height. I wear a lightweight, short gaiter from REI to keep debris out. Not always needed if the pants are long enough.

I wear Danner Gilas for most hunting other than really cold weather like snowy sub-zero temps. I have never had an issue from August archery deer, dove hunting, late season rifle deer/elk if the snow is not bad. I use them for work too, which includes a lot of hiking in to sites all over the country.