Havasuhunter

Species ID please?

You guys are A-holes that think every snake should be killed.

By the way, this is on one of the wildlife refuges where only certain species are legal. Fish and wildlife specifically states that all other species are to be left alone.

If a rattlesnake is near houses, park, launch ramp, etc where it poses a threat, I'll kill it. Otherwise I leave it to do what it does. They are part of the wild landscape as much as anything else.

This is right along the Colorado River too, for species ID.

• Like 4

Definitely a juvenile western diamondback. And thanks for bringing to light our NWR regs/rules!

• Like 4

Yeah, but we are snake killin' @$$holes. If a rattler is near me its endangering something, most likely itself. Bang. Problem solved. Lark.

• Like 2

Yeah, but we are snake killin' @$$holes. If a rattler is near me its endangering something, most likely itself. Bang. Problem solved. Lark.

So, you are admitting you will kill snakes any time you see them, even if the are specifically protected? It's illegal to kill any snake in some states period because of that mentality. On any NWR in any state I believe all native species not listed under specific regulations are protected.

Therefore, to kill that little snake would have made me a poacher. I'm not a poacher and I don't like it when others encourage people to poach or engage in it themselves.

Yes. I will kill every rattler I see. You listed all the exceptions you have to killin' em. Well I have a bigger list. We ain't talking about other states either. I've known lotsa folks that have suffered greatly because of rattlers. If you wanna call someone that kills a rattler a poacher, that a real stretch. Oh well. The ethics cops at work. Lark.

• Like 2

Yes. I will kill every rattler I see. You listed all the exceptions you have to killin' em. Well I have a bigger list. We ain't talking about other states either. I've known lotsa folks that have suffered greatly because of rattlers. If you wanna call someone that kills a rattler a poacher, that a real stretch. Oh well. The ethics cops at work. Lark.

On a National Wildlife Refuge it is illegal to kill any species not specifically listed. Not being the ethics police here, just following the law. If you kill a snake on a refuge, you are a poacher and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife wardens will ticket you. As a responsible Hunter I like to follow the law. If you illegally kill Wildlife, you are a poacher. Plain and simple.

In areas where it's not a crime, knock your self out.

• Like 1

Definitely a juvenile western diamondback. And thanks for bringing to light our NWR regs/rules!

I would have to agree. Looks like a baby western Diamond back.

Thanks for the response.

Blah, blah. Only worth 2 blahs. Don't have your own code fir killing snakes and don't allow others theirs. If I ever kill a snake in a nwf I'll feel bad for a minute or 1. Lark.

I don't get you. You say that "you guys are all aholes", if you kill a snake, then say it's ok if you do, under your own snake killer code. Then you accuse me of killing snakes in a refuge. I don't think I've ever been in a refuge. Oh wait, Denali. Didn't see any snakes tho. Then I'm a poacher because of all the refuge snakes I kill. Well Ron white jerk. Don't say it's ok for you to kill a rattler and then call everybody else dirty names. Another guy that figgers he's so pure that anything he does is ok. But nobody else can because they don't have "ethics". It's a stinkin' rattler. Stomp it's head and move on. Ever think o' joinin' peta? Be careful, don't get bit. Lark.

Does it make a difference if you kill each and every one with a bullet or a big ol rock. You guys got me confused now. I guess I'll just keep on killin them until I figure it out.

I don't get you. You say that "you guys are all aholes", if you kill a snake, then say it's ok if you do, under your own snake killer code. Then you accuse me of killing snakes in a refuge. I don't think I've ever been in a refuge. Oh wait, Denali. Didn't see any snakes tho. Then I'm a poacher because of all the refuge snakes I kill. Well Ron white jerk. Don't say it's ok for you to kill a rattler and then call everybody else dirty names. Another guy that figgers he's so pure that anything he does is ok. But nobody else can because they don't have "ethics". It's a stinkin' rattler. Stomp it's head and move on. Ever think o' joinin' peta? Be careful, don't get bit. Lark.

Lark,

Apparently you don't get a lot of things. My post was about ID of a species. You and others jumped on the redneck, pound your chest "I kill every dang snake I see" bandwagon, do I responded. I said you guys that say kill every snake are A-holes. My point was, and I know you missed it so bear with me, is you don't have to kill every snake you see and on Refuges it is illegal, so I would have been a poacher if I killed that one.

Where legal or where there is imminent danger to people, I will kill a "Venomous" snake. Non venomous snakes I always leave alone. I can remember killing 2 rattlesnakes. One was on our rig pad in UT last year and almost bit our Derrickhand. It crawled under a tank and I was enlisted to kill it to protect the workers. The other was an Eastern Diamond back that insisted on living under my pool deck in TN. Both presented an imminent danger to people.

I will always respond to the blanket statement that all snakes should be killed because it is completely ignorant.

• Like 3

"If it is legal then it is ethical"

• Like 1

"If it is legal then it is ethical"
It's illegal on a wildlife refuge.