Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Bass fishing for a beginner...

I'm going to try my hand at some bass fishing. I have never fished for bass, EVER. I've only fished for trout and catfish. So I would like to give bass fishing a try and hit some small ponds and southern AZ lakes. . Any pointers or tips for a beginner? I'm guessing a bait caster is a must, as I only have my spinning reel.

What would be a good beginner rod/reel combo?

Dropshot some robo worms with any spin cast/bait cast combo.

• Like 3

I'm strictly baitcaster, but spinning will work. FIRST....have some kinda floating device, very limited shore fishing. SECOND...as a beginner, you can't go wrong with a white spinnerbait. It'll work all year long. Get about 30 yrds from shore and work the shoreline all the way around our lil ponds. Throw towards shore and reel as if you are trying to keep it as close to the bottom as possible. If you are picking up too muah crap, reel a lil faster.

• Like 1

don't be a fairy wander ;)

JB good posts above. And make your fairy wand comments but you know that is a great way to get a beginner hooked. They'll look towards reaction baits soon enough!

• Like 1

About 5 poles ...

Med/Heavy Bait cast with Heavy Mono 12 lbs plus for Top water, buzz baits, jerks, certain spinner baits and shallow running crank baits

Med/Heavy Bait Cast with 15 lb plus Fluoro or braid for deep cranks, heavy spinners ( especially through the garbage and thick log jams) and jigging heavy baits 3/4 oz and up

Med Bait cast with 10 - 15 lb Fluoro for intermediate cranks, intermediate spinners... worming and jigging lighter baits 1/2 oz and under

Med Spinning 10 - 12 lbs Fluoro ( can do same as above pretty well )

med/light spinning 6- 8 lb ( 6 preferred) for finesse techniques like drop shotting, jigging lighter worm riggs, and crappie if you get on them ( prefer a rig with 4 lb for crappie but 6 works well enough)

You can get started with the bottom 2 pretty easy and find success ( bait casting , pitching and flipping takes time and practice)

remember if fishing bait on top like floating a minnow, or fishing a shallow or top water presentation use a mono line ( it floats ) things like drop shots fall a little slower with mono but fluro is what I still prefer even for that.

practice ... and once you are hooked expect to spend a bit of $$$$

• Like 1

came in to say this.

6lb line, 1/8oz sinker, size 1 drop shot hook, roboworm. rig up a drop shot, then nose hook the robo.

done. use it all year too

• Like 4

I used spinning reals for a long time before I learned how to use baitcasting aka backlashing reels so use what you have. Keep your line fresh and re tie the knots often. I agree though spinner baits, dropshot,soft plastics. Crankbaits if your in the lake, from shore they get snagged to often. Learn to cast accurately like into a small can accurate. Once you get super dedicated you'll want all kinds of gear and a boat.

My deck when I fish has 7-9 rigs at any one time ready to go. But you can fish with basics and still have fun.

• Like 1

rod and reel you can figure out what works best for you down the line, try what you have first . as you fish more you will see what you need. partner up with a buddy that fishes I'm sure that would be the best way to try out his gear/lures. live bait works wonders. don't make it tooo difficult as you are learning the do's & do not's.. good luck buddy

• Like 1

came in to say this.

6lb line, 1/8oz sinker, size 1 drop shot hook, roboworm. rig up a drop shot, then nose hook the robo.

done. use it all year too

OP...

Morning Dawn, Aaron's Magic, and Sexy Shad good colors state wide

Also try to limit your self to fishing and learning 1 or 2 techniques on any given trip ... you want to learn drop shot do it all day long... Carolina rigs ... you may get skunked a time or two but you will learn ... Spinners and Drop Shot Robo Worms is where I would start like others have said ...

• Like 1

Dang, thanks everyone for all the input! I forgot that I do have a spin cast rod/reel as well. So either the spinning reel or spin cast would be good to go right? As for the line test, I'm not sure whats on them right now. It's just the line that came with the combo when I bought them new. So I'm guessing 4-6lb test? Would that be ok to use?

Dang, thanks everyone for all the input! I forgot that I do have a spin cast rod/reel as well. So either the spinning reel or spin cast would be good to go right? As for the line test, I'm not sure whats on them right now. It's just the line that came with the combo when I bought them new. So I'm guessing 4-6lb test? Would that be ok to use?

6 lb for drop shot ... 8 - 10 for almost any other bait getting started ... it is a huge learning curve and so many guys have their preferred ways and teachings ... IMO have 2 poles ... 6 lb mono ... and 8- 10 lb fluorocarbon ... as others said retie knots often .. and learn your knots ... First knot I learned at 5 was the trilene know ( easy and works fine ) but I prefer palomar knot on many rigs.

• Like 1