Sign in to follow this  
Heat

UPDATED- NOT GOING

Some of you may recall that last spring I had some feelers out for hog hunts in Texas (and California). One of those seems to have panned out. I contacted a guy in California (Erik Smith) about his operation back then but he wasn't booking dates at the time (full). I checked into his gig on Jesse's hunting and people seemed pretty pleased with his hunts. His operation is outside Madera, California. It used to be called Cottonwood Hunting and his website is now www.smithadobe.com. Anyways long story short, I have been offered a number of hunt dates to book a trip with him for next year. He takes a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 hunters per party. The deposit and hunting fee we have been offered is $250 per person. This includes lodging, but food is up to us. This is a semi-guided opportunity on private land. The hunts are from Fri -Sun morning. $200 kill fee only if you get a pig. Hunters are responsible for their own California hunting license and pig tag. Skinning, gutting, quartering up to us. This is a pretty good opportunity to get a WILD Hog without having to drive to Texas. Dates I've been offered are as follows:

Friday, January 8th - Sunday, January 10th, 2016
Friday, February 5th - Sunday, February 7th, 2016
Friday, June 3rd - Sunday, June 5th, 2016
Friday, July 1st - Sunday, July 3rd, 2016
Friday, August 5th - Sunday, August 7th, 2016
Friday, September 2nd - Sunday, September 4th, 2016
Friday, October 7th - Sunday, October 9th, 2016
Friday, November 4th - Sunday, November 6th, 2016
Friday, December 2nd - Sunday, December 4th, 2016
I'm most interested in the February date, followed by the June date, and maybe the July date. Not really interested in fall dates since they could interfere with fall hunts here at home.
Let me know by PM if you are interested. Please list your top 3 dates in order of preference. If we can get consensus on a date and deposits from a minimum of 3 other people I think we can make this happen!
Thanks,
Nick

i would be interested in february or possibly june. how much are california license fees? anyone know?

I would be interested in the February dates as well. What is the success rate?

• Like 2

Thanks for getting this put together Nick. After reading his web site I read they do not do spot & stock. It said all hunts are done by driving the pigs out. Some hunters will push while others will sit and wait. If this is the case I will pass. I suck at shooting on the run:)

Adam

shoulda read the site i guess. sounds like a good way to get shot?

I'm in the wrong business. I should buy some land and fence in some "wild" pigs. I just don't think I could justify the cost. I know there's the "thrill of the hunt". But for $600, I could get a whole pig from a local farmer butchered and ready to freeze.

Since there has been little to no interest in this I let the guy know that I was not able to get a group together. So I guess I'm going to give up on trying to put a hog hunt together and maybe just play it by ear if someone else organizes something or has a better idea. If anyone has a group going hog hunting and needs another hunter, please keep me in mind.

Sorry guys,

Nick

• Like 1

Will be going to Texas sometime soon with a friend that lived there 15yrs and still has family there. I'll post you when

• Like 2