mattys281

Hunting in bear country

After numerous delays & a couple cancelled trips, I finally made it back to 27 to do some scouting this last weekend. The first order of business was to pick up a trail cam, which had already been removed for me. After spending more than an hour fuming & searching to make sure I wasn't over looking it in the chest high ferns that had sprouted up over the last 5 weeks, I finally resigned myself to the fact that it was gone & headed off to another spot I like, where I set up another camera. I worked my way down the ridgeline nice & easy. It was still early enough in the morning to come across some critters, so I was being watchful & taking the opportunity to practice my calf & cow sounds w/ my diaphragm call. About half-way to my camera spot, I was paused doing some calf calls when I suddenly heard something behind me that sounded like a branch popping. I turned around & leaned on the tree I was standing next to for some cover in the shadow & almost immediately I saw a huge round head w/ two little ears silhouetted under a tree.

My first though was, 'Wow, I snuck right up on that bedded bear! Wish I had my camera (it broke last week).' After a moment, my eyes adjusted to the shadows & I saw that it was not a bedded bear that I'd snuck up on, but rather a moving bear that had snuck up right behind me. He was facing direcltly towards me at around thirty yards, eyes locked on mine, ears forward & fully alert. He'd been stepping over a fallen log & stood there with his front legs still straddling it. He apparently froze when I heard him break the branch & turned to investigate the noise.

When I realized that he was coming up behind me, it sank in at once that he had been responding to my calf calling and was investigating a potential meal. Thirty yards away, on the ground, and nothing between us except my bow & an 8" k-bar strapped to my hip.

My first thought, out of fear, was to shoot him & I nocked an arrow. I didn't shoot though, as it's obviously out of season and he was not threatening me at that point. He was just standing there staring me down. After thinking, 'Ohh crap! What do I do?!' over & over again for a few seconds, I recalled the safety tips on one of my bear videos at home & began to shout & wave my arms over my head to scare him away. He didn't move. He just sat there, still as a statue, staring me down, evidently also trying to decide what to do next. My mind was doing about a 120 mph at that point. Should I pick up a stick? Should I try to throw some rocks? I've got a rubber blunt in my quiver, maybe a shot to the chest would show him this was serious & he'd better get the heck out of here? I discarded that idea as soon as I thought it. That could go the other way & succeed only in pissing him off, at which point I seriously doubt I'd have enough time to nock a broadhead before he covered that 30 yards between us.

This was the third bear I've run across in the woods during the last year. The two previous ones had bolted immediately upon noticing me. This guy was different, though. He was in his hunt mode and not impressed by a 160 lb. hiker yelling cuss words at him. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, but couldn't have been more than a minute or two, I decided that if he wasn't going to back away, I'd better. I began waving my bow over my head & shouting again, while slowly back stepping away from him. I'd taken only two or three steps when he slowly pulled his front leg back over the log & turned broadside. He walked away, back into the trees on a line perpendicular to me, while keeping his eyes on me until he was out of sight. He walked away verys slow & calm. I don't know if he was confused about me or if he was just completely unafraid, but he never showed any sign of alarm.

He walked away, I checked my shorts. Literally. I was shaking so bad I couldn't hardly stand by the time he split. The shorts were still clean, but I don't know how. No matter how many close encounters I've had with wild animals, nothing was as tense as those couple moments that I spent staring down that bear at that range. When I first realized he'd been coming in to find me, I thought, 'This aint going to end good.' Had it been a sow with cubs, I'm sure it wouldn't have. I love that unit & can't wait to go back, but the next time I'll definetely be sporting more than a knife to protect myself. After all, bear & lion maulings are rare, but every year they happen to someone.

Lessons learned:

1.) Carry bear spray!

2.) Check your back trail. I usually practice this religously, but he caught up to me the one time I wasn't.

3.) My luck isn't as bad as I claim. If it was, that would've been a sow w/ cubs & you'd be reading my obit. now instead of a first-hand story.

Hey, Matty.... that is a great story. I walked up on a feeding bear one time and had nearly the same experiance as you. Once they are thinking of food their fear is almost gone. I, also, have ten minutes of video of a bear that I rode up on with a 4-wheeler.... shut off the bike and my friend started to call once the bear started in our direction all he was thinkin' was "Food"...... it was amazing I had my bow in one hand and the camera in the other.... and it was bear season....I had that bear within 10 yds of me for atleast 10-12 minutes, but it was a small bear and I am glad I didn't shoot him, the video is very entertaining. Thanks for sharing.... it brought back some old memories!

CnS

I mean,

Dirk D.

I always pack a pistol. Great story I'm sure you'll re-live for years to come.

Hey matt, Sorry about the cam :unsure: that sucks dude, Iwould be pissed <_< . But glad to Hear that bear did not get the best of you :rolleyes: . Picked my cam up and got 14 pics give me call when you get a chance.

Awesome story, glad it turned out good.

Cool story Matty,

I was out shed hunting with Josh Epperson and Tim Maddock a year or so ago and I walk up upon a small chocolate bedded bear. She was only about 10 yds from me when she stood up from under a shade tree. We stared at each other for a good 15 seconds before she finally decided to walk off. Didn't have enough time to get too spooked but it was an experience I'll always remember. Tim was able to catch a glimpse of her as she ran off as well. I wasn't packing either.

She/he was about yea big....

smallcinnomon.jpg

Here is a larger black from the same spot.

Bigblack.jpg

wow that is scary! i ALWAYS carry my xd-40 for just this type of instance!

when i killed my lion, and my buddy killed the other one.. we walked up to within 15 feet of a wounded, NOT DEAD lion under a tree! if that dont get your heart goin, i dont know what will!!!!

glad you made it ok!

Matty

Pretty intense eh? Just like the old saying about bullets, Its the one you don't hear, that gets you!

Thanks for sharing the story. It brought back similar memories for me with a cougar.

It was definetely on heck of an experience. The way he sat there staring at me, I thought for sure he was about to come over that log for a closer look. Sure glad he didn't. Bears are my favorite animal to see in the wild & I can't wait to get back over there. I can tell you for certain that I'll be payin much closer attention when calling. When ever I've called elk in before I've always heard them before seeing them, but with the heavy pads those bears sport on their feet, that's obviously not always going to be the case. In addition to the bear spray, I'm also going to make sure that I've got my camcorder handy, in case I get to see him before he sees me next time.

Just this weekend scouting in the Matazals (however you spell it) I had an encounter. Hiking in and saw tons of bear sign on the trail, fresh dump and tracks... very fresh. I knew he was ahead of me. I came around a bend and there he was, staring at me. He had left the trail and crossed a small ravine. He was about 30 yards, very large and black. He wasn't concerned with me and kept walking but I lost sight of him in the brush. Problem was the trail curved around the ravine and thats where he, and I, was heading. I gave him plenty of time, was very loud, and walked very cautiously... and had my XD45 at hand. It was very cool.

Its dry out there! I didn't see any water in the holes.