Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

GPS touch Screen Repair?

I have (had) a Garmin Oregon 450T. Well, this trip, somehow I cracked the touchscreen, and now it won't recognize the finger contact. Not even sure if Garmin will repair it if I pay. Has anyone done a repair like this with Garmin? Or am I SOL and need to buy a new unit?

Depending on warranty, if they will not do it for free , you can do it yourself for under $20 in most cases ... Not that hard to do and plenty of you tube videos to walk you through it ... the digitizer and glass are one unit and easily replaced .. No need to buy whole new unit

http://www.instructables.com/id/Replace-the-touchscreen-on-a-Garmin-Oregon-for-20/

• Like 1

Check out the link I sent ... If it comes on and you can see everything it is just the digitizer/glass that needs replaced and can find plenty from about $12 - $30 ... about a 30 min - 1 hour job

Depending on warranty, if they will not do it for free , you can do it yourself for under $20 in most cases ... Not that hard to do and plenty of you tube videos to walk you through it ... the digitizer and glass are one unit and easily replaced .. No need to buy whole new unit

http://www.instructables.com/id/Replace-the-touchscreen-on-a-Garmin-Oregon-for-20/

You ROCK!!! Everything comes on under the broken glass. I just ordered the part for $20.33 with shipping. Out of warranty, I have had it for a couple years. I am on my way to Harbor Freight to get a T7 torx bit. Thanks Str8Shot. Saved me a few hundred bucks.

• Like 3

Bummer

Good work str8shot!

I posted the same info but it would not update. The only thing I will add is that Amazon has the screens as well $22 and easy to return if it ain't right.

If it is not the screen then send it to Garmin. You do not want to get into the flex cable, board component part of the device or you could trash it permanently, even a simple ESD discharge can fry the very small components.

YouTube had some good videos as well.