CCLCOOZ

7 Mile Wash Thieves

They will probably be getting sued soon.My daughters work a small retail store and they get ripped off blind,just grab n go....they have pretty much zero recourse and having them risk their own lives over a shirt doesn't sit well anyway........I agree with wildwoody,CYA!!!

A few years ago some guys from Globe were parked down toward the bottom of 7 mile and when they came back to the truck, some jerk had broken into it and broken the steering column trying to steal the truck. Truck wouldn't start and wiring was trashed. Doesn't sound like a big deal, problem was one of them was an insulin dependent diabetic. I don't remember all the details but the attempted thieves actions nearly cost that man his life.

Thanks gents for all the replies, your comments will be well taken and we will start taking extra measures to make sure all our equipment is secured.

Safe Hunting to all.

Camping is just not the same as it used to be. A while back I posted about some experiences camping and the thread took a weird turn and got deleted. Basic idea was that camping used to be about getting away from it all and enjoying the outdoors ... that has been derailed by jerks like the ones who entered your camp.

You know it now, but I'll say it anyway ... never leave a gun in camp that isn't locked away in a vehicle.

• Like 4

MattMan, on 02 Dec 2015 - 05:04 AM, said:

A few years ago some guys from Globe were parked down toward the bottom of 7 mile and when they came back to the truck, some jerk had broken into it and broken the steering column trying to steal the truck. Truck wouldn't start and wiring was trashed. Doesn't sound like a big deal, problem was one of them was an insulin dependent diabetic. I don't remember all the details but the attempted thieves actions nearly cost that man his life.

Brother and I were talking about just this in elk camp last week. Tinkering with or trying to steal a vehicle in the woods should be dealt with as horse thieves were allowed to be dealt with back in the day, and for the same reasons. In some areas in AZ, or in your case with a diabetic friend, the disabling or loss of a vehicle could put someone in a serious survival jeopardy if they aren't prepared or if there is a medical emergency.

I sometimes leave things of value in a tent or camper (laptop, spare binos, etc) if I'm pretty remote, but never a firearm. I get nervous leaving the AR or a backup rifle locked up in the truck when out scouting or hunting, but never leave a firearm unsecured. Things are getting to the point these days where I will start running a sturdy cable and lock through trigger guards or mag wells and around a rear seat mount when leaving a firearm in a vehicle for the day. In a remote area where it is "just hunters" about, I don't worry too much, but when you've got other "recreational users" or potential opportunists in the area, things change. One reason I guess I'll never own a Yetti cooler!

• Like 2

Guest 300ultramag.

I left a fire arm below my cot. Got half way to my hunting spot and realized it. I knew if indidnt turns around I would stress over what could happen. Turned around got my gun. Zip up the tent and a bull bugled right behind the tent!!! Worked out great!!!

• Like 2

Hmm.. sorry to hear. I guess I'll come a bit more prepared for my camping trip. I will be placing a tracker in my vehicle in a hidden spot and carrying all my valuables on me. IMHO, I feel like the lack of punishment for criminal acts has led to the increase of theft and so on... People just don't care about morals anymore.

I always set up an opaque hammock at camp, and then tuck a sleeping bag in there, with enough volume to look like someone could be napping there.. I don't know if it's worked, for sure, but never had a camp messed with. bummer about the pistol. File a police report, it may turn up.

• Like 1

I always set up an opaque hammock at camp, and then tuck a sleeping bag in there, with enough volume to look like someone could be napping there.. I don't know if it's worked, for sure, but never had a camp messed with. bummer about the pistol. File a police report, it may turn up.

Great idea! I would try to do the same if we didn't have people staying in camp already. My grandfather likes to stay in camp with a few others so that's been a huge plus!