Sign in to follow this  
Presmyk

22-250 bullets that won't vaporize

I never killed a cat with them, but was less then impressed with the 40 vmax from my 223 on coyotes.

I much prefer the 50gr. VMAX/ZMAX @ 3303FPS from my .223 too. No coyote has ever walked away from one of those from my gun. The 69gr. SMK is good too. Does not put them down quite as fast, but better for shots a little further out, and accuracy is amazing.
I also shoot 50grn zmax out 22-250 at 3700fps. Was like a gernade went off inside bout 1to2" whole coming out that lion at 20yrds

I use 52 gr hornady bthp match bullets in everything I have that is .22 cal. They aren't "recomended" for hunting but I've had great success with em. Seem to do little hide damage also. Lark

• Like 1

I use 52 gr hornady bthp match bullets in everything I have that is .22 cal. They aren't "recomended" for hunting but I've had great success with em. Seem to do little hide damage also. Lark

• Like 1

Not a 22-250 but in my 223 wssm I shoot a 69 grain bullet. I tried a Berger varmint grenade 40 grain if I remember right and it exploded before hitting the target, backed off the powder charge and it shot good. Then I shot a fox with it and it removed the entire front shoulder/leg assembly on exit. It is in fact a grenade lol.

In my experience cats are soft and they end up with a lot more damage than a coyote does with the same bullet. If targeting cats specifically then a 17 fireball or something similar may be the ticket. That being said I use a 52gr Berger in my .223 and haven't had an exit yet with the few coyotes I have shot with it.

I shoot the 40 Grain V-max out of my .223 at 3800 FPS and havent had an exit once on coyotes, Shot placement is key on these lighter bullets i imagine where the shoulders meet the spine and aim there. Havent lost a single one since i started with this load. I wouldnt be afraid to shoot a cat with this load i think if the shot is placed right youll only get a small entry hole. just have to give the energy a place to go without tearing the hide.

I have shot 2 yote one with a winchester silver ballistic tip head shot and one with a 40 grain vmax I loaded on top of 38 grains of imr 4064 front on shot at 130 yards and dropped like a sack of tatters