easymoney

having trouble in the unit i hunt need HELP!!!!!

I have been hunting my unit for about 5 years and have about 3 solid salt licks established. This last year I was not successful on any of them and thu bucks that i have been harvesting of them are not that big (90 being the biggest) so this off season i decided to make a few more. Well the trouble i am having is everywhere i go to make a new lick i find there is one already there :angry:. i have found 4 of them and it’s driving me crazy. Some look like they are used quit a bit and the others hardly at all (not being re-charged or no tree stand marks). The areas where I have found the salt licks look great. there is plenty of good sign and I found a ched that was massive( im thinking around 110-115). Imp only 21 and for being that age I have always respected other hunters and know what is write and wrong about hunting someone’s area.

So what do i need to about my problem?

the area i hunt is not that big and every year i see more and more hunter there.

do i still hunt in that area where i found them?

do i go 2-3 miles back away from it all and make a new salt lick( salt starts to get freaking heavy at 300 yards ahahah)

Do you guys have any ideas.

Thanks for the help guys

Love this site

Not to sound mean or anything, but what about fair chase? Quit baiting this animals and hunt them the real way. I can't stand how people hunt these days. It's not hunting if your just sitting on your can waiting for something to come and eat. U might as well set up a lawn chair and eat popcorn with your bow in your hand. Do it the right way and spot and stalk these awesome deer, give yourself the ultimate challenge.

I have been hunting my unit for about 5 years and have about 3 solid salt licks established. This last year I was not successful on any of them and thu bucks that i have been harvesting of them are not that big (90 being the biggest) so this off season i decided to make a few more. Well the trouble i am having is everywhere i go to make a new lick i find there is one already there :angry:. i have found 4 of them and it’s driving me crazy. Some look like they are used quit a bit and the others hardly at all (not being re-charged or no tree stand marks). The areas where I have found the salt licks look great. there is plenty of good sign and I found a ched that was massive( im thinking around 110-115). Imp only 21 and for being that age I have always respected other hunters and know what is write and wrong about hunting someone’s area.

the area i hunt is not that big and every year i see more and more hunter there.

do i go 2-3 miles back away from it all and make a new salt lick( salt starts to get freaking heavy at 300 yards ahahah)

Thanks for the help guys

Love this site

Spot and stalk , sitting a stand , calling , sitting a blind , pre-scouting a spot for your stand or blind etc... is all a part of hunting IMO.

I do all of the above and spend at the minimum 100 day's in the field every year and what ever game plan I come up

with is what I do. ;)

Just my 2 pennies.

Not to sound mean or anything, but what about fair chase? Quit baiting this animals and hunt them the real way. I can't stand how people hunt these days. It's not hunting if your just sitting on your can waiting for something to come and eat. U might as well set up a lawn chair and eat popcorn with your bow in your hand. Do it the right way and spot and stalk these awesome deer, give yourself the ultimate challenge.

We really don't need to go down this road again..... united we stand, divided we fall. Period. ALL hunters must stick together.

easymoney,

Go find a new place to hunt if it is that crowded.... you will enjoy your hunt more. It blows me away how often hunters "stack up" in areas.... There is plenty o' country with deer in it. Get out there and find it. :D Best of luck. ;)

CnS

I must agree with Monstercoues 100%. I can't wait until bait or using salt in the state is illegal. I don't believe baiting is fair chase either. Keep the wind in your face, spot and stalk. Well said Monstercoues.

Thanks for the help guys

Love this site

Hey Monstercoues.......I know yer expectin' some replies to your statement! Here's mine....

Why do you care? Why make a comment like that? I applaud you for the style of hunting YOU prefer.....I also applaud those guys that choose to sit on their can and wait! I bet most of those guys that hunt out of a blind or treestand spend AT LEAST twice maybe three times more time in the feild establishing their spots than you do hunting your way! It amazes me how dedicated most of those guys are and how much time they invest in their spots. They may be sitting and waiting for their trophy, but they've already done the hours and weeks of hard work and research. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and how they choose to hunt......it definitely doesn't make them less of a hunter because they don't hunt the way you do! You should be happy that they aren't out there stalkin' your deer! I have never hunted out of a treestand or over bait.......but that's because it takes too much time and effort to do it right! Just my $.02 :P JIM>

"Not to sound mean or anything, but what about fair chase? Quit baiting this animals and hunt them the real way. I can't stand how people hunt these days. It's not hunting if your just sitting on your can waiting for something to come and eat. U might as well set up a lawn chair and eat popcorn with your bow in your hand. Do it the right way and spot and stalk these awesome deer, give yourself the ultimate challenge."

"I must agree with Monstercoues 100%. I can't wait until bait or using salt in the state is illegal. I don't believe baiting is fair chase either. Keep the wind in your face, spot and stalk. Well said Monstercoues."

Ditto, hunt em' spot and stock and you'll have a heck of a better story too. baitin' just ain't huntin in my eyes.

Wade

We really don't need to go down this road again..... united we stand, divided we fall. Period. ALL hunters must stick together.

CnS

CnS

Nuff said.

I say use whatever method you deem fit and legal. I have a buddy who sweated his butt off all sat putting out 7 50lb salt blocks in his deer unit. (desert) and when he called me and was all done I told him he was crazy. The cool thing about our state is that you can do it legally by baiting if you choose which is sometimes the only way to hunt when you get to a certain age. It is really no different than sitting water so i dont think we should tell anyone THEIR way is the only way. So have fun sitting, stalking, glassing, walking, and have a good jolly old time. Lots of Rednek vacation for me this year. Hopefully I dont end up sleeping in the garage.

I agree with Gino and Jim.

Get out there and hunt. As long as you are out there hunting, who cares how your hunting! just be thankfull you CAN hun!

Okay heres my two cent. I think baiting is fine when you have game cams out and want to look at horn growth etc... and find good animals but when it comes time to hunt challenge yourself, you would be much more appreciative when your taking pics of the big boy.

I agree with Gino and Jim.

Get out there and hunt. As long as you are out there hunting, who cares how your hunting! just be thankfull you CAN hun!

Brown noser. :P

This is my first year trying the salt-lick deal & I can tell you already that it takes a lot of time & effort to make it work. Deer don't just magically appear in a crap area because some a-hole walked 50 yards away from his car & scattered some salt. You still have to find good spots & do your scouting.

I choose a tactic to suit the terrain. In the desert, binos & tripod. In thickn timber, treestand & salt. Spend some time in the thick, over grown stuff I'll be hunting this fall & then tell me how you plan to spot & stalk. Still hunting you could do, spot & stalk - forget it. You can't see a hundred yards, but there's a lot of animals there, so you adapt to the circumstances.

Hunters need to keep their mouths shut about bashing other peoples methods. It doesn' suit your taste, fine don't hunt that way. You still have no right to dictate what the rest of us should do in the field, so consider yourself cordially invited to shut-up.