SwampMafia

Freezing whole birds for eating later

I have about 15 waterfowl in the freezer right now. I shot them and then rinsed them under water and packaged them in bags whole so that I could decide at the end of the season what was for eating and what was for the taxidermist. I plan on just breasting them out and turning them into sausage. Has anyone got any input on freezing whole birds for eating at a later date? I will definently thaw them in the fridge when the time comes. I figure as long as the meat isn't touching the organs (it's not) it should be fine. What do you guys think?

I think you'll be just fine.

Should be OK but don't waste it in sausage. Lol brine for 3 hours then wrap in bacon and grill for 6 min per side or until bacon is crispy. Serve with blackberry red wine reduction , mashed taters and a salad

Freezing it is just fine. If you're not going to eat it for a while I would wrap it in a damp towel. I have seen birds get freezer burnt right at the entrance and exit points of the BB shot. The damp towel should prevent that. Your taxidermist can also give you the meat as well. We call that a taxidermy by-product.😉

• Like 1

Little salt put in bag fill with water so birds are submerged then freeze last a yr.

Wet towel around the bird for both eating and Taxidermy.. The freezer will suck the moisture out of the skin and it will shrink, tare, and burn..

BRINE BRINE BRINE