Sign in to follow this  
corkin it

Redington Pass target shooting

I organized a group with the forest service, county, G&F, sheriffs office, and a sportsmen group a few years back to clean up the three big shooting areas up redington. We had no participation and very few gov. officials involved. I hope they keep that area closed to shooting for good!!! We loaded trucks full and paid for the dump bill and scrapped all the brass we picked up (that we couldn't reload) and a week later the appliances were hauled back up and shot like nothing ever happened!!

• Like 1

Yes you can still shoot up there. The Forest Service has closed shooting between MP4 and MP7 I think. This has just pushed all the target shooters further back up the road. There are several good spots around MP 9 and 10. And if you read the regulation the forest service issued, it states no shooting within .6 miles of the road between MP 4 and MP 7. This sucks because I used to jump the ponds in this area for ducks, and surprisingly enough there are lots of deer and javalina in this area. So now hunters have lost another area to hunt in.

post-8974-0-66008100-1453046877_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A place to target shoot? It is called Southeast regional shooting range, at Houghton and I-10. But, no idiots shooting tvs and refrigerators are allowed. There is no place for idiots except the Pima County Jail. By the way the sign says no target shooting, hunting is allowed.

• Like 2

"Prohibited activities include parking a motorized vehicle between Mile Markers 5.0 and 7.0 along Pima County Road 371, and discharging a firearm, air rifle, paint ball gun, gas gun or archery equipment between Mile Markers 5.0 and 7.0, or within 0.6 miles of that segment of the road."

This is from the USFS Web site...can't even use archery equipment.

And for the record there are more idiots at the Southwest Regional Shooting Range than I have ever ran into up in Reddington. I will never go back to the Southwest Regional Range! After having a the guy next to me flag me with a loaded rifle, and one of the range officers pick up my rifle while I was down range...I value my life more than that.

I've been keeping a close eye on this situation.

520HUNT is correct in everything he said except for the part about no hunting in this area. The forest service sign and web site are not clear that the prohibitions only refer to target shooting, but that's all they are talking about. You can continue to jump ducks anywhere in the pass except, I believe, for "The Lake" on the road to the Bellota Ranch headquarters..

Audsley, do you know why The Lake is closed to hunting? I have seen the one sign by the road but there are no other signs? I was wondering how big the closure area is? I used to chase javalina and deer right behind The Lake...

No, but I'll look into when I can. Will probably choose to PM you when I found out. This is definitely a local issue.

• Like 1