Sign in to follow this  
joeinaz

Best Rifle Scope with custom turret option

Get a 1/4 mia or .1 mil scope that you can use for any load.

For the purposes of tracking consistency, SWFA, Bushnell LRHS, or Nightforce are all I'd consider. ..

+1, I recently bought a mil scope, I like it over moa so far, but that's just in theory as I haven't taken or to the range yet.

What is it that you like about a mil scope over moa without using it?

You get more elevation per revolution with mil.

On which model scope does choosing Mil over MOA get you more elevation per revolution?

Get a 1/4 mia or .1 mil scope that you can use for any load.

For the purposes of tracking consistency, SWFA, Bushnell LRHS, or Nightforce are all I'd consider. ..

+1, I recently bought a mil scope, I like it over moa so far, but that's just in theory as I haven't taken or to the range yet.

What is it that you like about a mil scope over moa without using it?
You get more elevation per revolution with mil.

On which model scope does choosing Mil over MOA get you more elevation per revolution?

My SWFA 3-15 is 5 mil per revolution, with that I can get 880 yards with my 257 wby, that is 17.43 moa, my zeiss conquest is 16 MOA per revolution.

My SWFA 3-15 is 5 mil per revolution, with that I can get 880 yards with my 257 wby, that is 17.43 moa, my zeiss conquest is 16 MOA per revolution.

Apples to oranges. That has nothing to do with MOA vs Mil and everything to do with the 30mm tube on that SWFA vs the 1" tube on the 6.5-20 Conquest I am assuming you are talking about.

If you had a Valdada 3-18 with a 35mm tube you would get 25 MOA in one revolution or just under 7.5 Mils.

MOA and Mils are simply a unit of measurement. There are many factors including thread pitch of the turrets, main tube diameter, and the fulcrum point of the erector that dictate how much adjustment the erector tube is given per revolution of the turret.

No offense Casey and I didn't mean to drag this out but I didn't want to leave mis-information out there.

How would you compare that SWFA glass to your Conquest?

• Like 1

Well, I just learned something, I honestly did not know that.

Swfa and conquest are about the same on glass. The hd5 is much better then the swfa, but that would be a fairer comparison with the 5-20 HD swfa.

• Like 1

No worries. I have the same conquest (6.5-20) on my heavy barrel AR and it has served me well. Like you say though, it is very limited in vertical adjustment.

I use the mark 4 with M1 turrets and the ts32x1 reticle . Works great

Nmhunter

I use the Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42, it's very clear and seems to track true.

I do have a question that goes along with people saying not using a custom turret. I'm mainly a bow hunter but do try to get leftover tags down south while I wait for my archery strip tag. I set up my .280 Rem in hopes to shoot out to 5-600 yards max. I don't have any care in the world if it shoots past that. I've used a chart for the last 3 seasons with this rifle but have considered getting a custom turret built. When I change all the parameters on the ballistic calculator there is very little difference out to 500 yards on bullet drop. If you are only going out to 500 would you consider a custom turret a good option for shooting that mid range? I have a load developed already for 168 grain Classic Hunters and I'm working on one for 140 VLDs so 2 turrets would cover this rifle for almost any hunt I'll need it for.

That is my experience as well. The Kenton turrets work well for your application. I start to notice a difference at 600+. I just print a chart telling me the difference and adjust my turret +/- whatever the difference is. The turret on my 300wsm is set up for 7k feet, but I was able to take a coues at 4k feet and 585 yards last year with only a slight dialing difference.

I use the Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42, it's very clear and seems to track true.

I do have a question that goes along with people saying not using a custom turret. I'm mainly a bow hunter but do try to get leftover tags down south while I wait for my archery strip tag. I set up my .280 Rem in hopes to shoot out to 5-600 yards max. I don't have any care in the world if it shoots past that. I've used a chart for the last 3 seasons with this rifle but have considered getting a custom turret built. When I change all the parameters on the ballistic calculator there is very little difference out to 500 yards on bullet drop. If you are only going out to 500 would you consider a custom turret a good option for shooting that mid range? I have a load developed already for 168 grain Classic Hunters and I'm working on one for 140 VLDs so 2 turrets would cover this rifle for almost any hunt I'll need it for.

You are correct in most cases out to 500 yds does not change much on zero other than windage.

Go for it $100 for a turret on a gun you will never change loads on is not bad. If you are unsure of the exact parameters you could even order a custom label for your turret. Custom Turret Systems does them for $25. I don't mind dialing but was considering this option for my daughters rifles so they could set drop while I check wind conditions and save a little time.