• 3B
    • 4A
    • 5A
    • 5BN
    • 5BS
    • 6A
    • 7E
    • 7W

Well osu92, that's why I won't put in for 27 any more (the reasons you posted). I hunted 27 was during the "peak" (12-15 years ago and had a blast. I used to absolutely love that unit...it was one of my all-time favorite elk units (along with some choice spots in 1... remember when we used to have a archery tag that read, " Units 1,2,4,& 27"? I know, I'm dating myself here, but that sure was fun.

Since the fire I've had no interest in going back to rub shoulders with others chasing the same animals, or carry a machete to hack my way through that stuff. That said, I know others who still put in a lot of time and energy in 27 and prefer it, but that's not for me...

Honestly just about any unit you spend time in you'll find some great and not-so-great areas, but that's why it's called "hunting" and not "killing". For me, I'm now hunting closer to home so I can spend more time in the field scouting and really get to know the unit better so I'm not surprised during any hunt. Also, it's a whole lot easier to be scouting immediately after you tag or the hunt so you can continue on scouting and see what happens to herds when the pressure is on. That's paid huge dividends in years past...

Oh well, too late now, just try to remain focused until we hear the first one say, "Hey, my card got hit!!!"

• Like 1

So when you guys say 3a/3c has a max point of 11. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean If you are a resident with 11 points, and you apply for 3a/3c you are guaranteed to draw that tag? Or is your percentage better/odds go up? Sorry but I'm not the best at knowing all this info.

What I do know is I have 9 points(elk) as a resident and I'm trying to figure out the best choice for next year. (Hoping to draw this year obviously, but I put in for 23s and 23n. In that order. Early archery)

I have 14bp's for antelope and the guy I have been putting in with has 18. So I'm just trying to continue gathering info for the best opportunities. Thanks in advance

So when you guys say 3a/3c has a max point of 11. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean If you are a resident with 11 points, and you apply for 3a/3c you are guaranteed to draw that tag? Or is your percentage better/odds go up? Sorry but I'm not the best at knowing all this info.

What I do know is I have 9 points(elk) as a resident and I'm trying to figure out the best choice for next year. (Hoping to draw this year obviously, but I put in for 23s and 23n. In that order. Early archery)

I have 14bp's for antelope and the guy I have been putting in with has 18. So I'm just trying to continue gathering info for the best opportunities. Thanks in advance

Basically going off of the year before you can look at hunts and see who Drew with how many points. You can see everyone as a resident with 11 points drew. So assuming a similar amount of people put in for a hunt this year you can see how many points will get a tag. Some years it may go up one or down one.

As for 23s and 23n there is no guarantee at 9 points. While no guarantee to draw there are 12 tags that go random in those hunts. I drew 23n with 7 and my dad Drew 23n with 6 so you never know. For a resident I believe it was somewhere around 15 last year for both of those. But with so few tags only three are guaranteed to residents. There used to be one tag that could go to NR in the bonus pass in the past but now there isnt. No NR can be guaranteed a tag in 23s or 23n.

BC777 is right on with the process. The bonus pas for 23N last year was 17 pts, up an astounding 4 points from 2014. I think people are finally giving up on the rifle tag.

Everyone with 15 pts drew 23S.

• Like 1

Yes, I know 23N was 17 points last year because I was the one who drew it. You hit the nail on the head Flatlander, I had been holding out for early rifle but with point creep it was looking like ~ 6 more years for a guaranteed tag in one of the few units I wanted. I finally decided life is too short to keep waiting for that rifle tag and put in for archery instead. No regrets at all. I had a great time. Of course, I could have killed a bigger bull if I could hunt with a rifle, but the experience was great and I got to hunt with my young sons snd get them excited about hunting elk made it perfect.

Thanks bonecollector777. Where can this information be found? That shows who was drawn and how many points they had? Is it avaiable to the public?

It is available to everyone. It's under bonus point process when you click on biggame draw. You match up the hunt number on the report with the hunt number from the correct year regs. It's confusing but you can figure it out.

Bone collector, 1 more question. So when you were saying there's still 12 tags to draw after the pass line. So do my odds go up for those remaining 12 tags because I have 9 points? Or do I have the same odds as everyone else below the pass line? Somehow a guy with a lot of points and falls just below pass line has got to still have better odds then someone with less bp's. Right?

Bone collector, 1 more question. So when you were saying there's still 12 tags to draw after the pass line. So do my odds go up for those remaining 12 tags because I have 9 points? Or do I have the same odds as everyone else below the pass line? Somehow a guy with a lot of points and falls just below pass line has got to still have better odds then someone with less bp's. Right?

U have 9 number assigned to u in the 1-2 pass and they use your lowest number. Someone with 0 points has only one number assigned so yes u have better odds as the more points u get. U only get to use one number like everyone else but u get 9 chances to get the lowest possible number based on yoyr 9 points

Think of it as if the draw was done by pulling names out of a hat. A person with 9 points get their name in the hat 9 extra times, one for each point. Yes, you have a better chance than someone with 9 pts but a worse chance than someone with 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 pts. You have really BAD odds of drawing that tag. I have a better chance of winning a beach body competition than most people do of drawing that tag.

Well for 23S there were 237 first choice applicants last yr. and twelve tags after bonus pass. So not terrible odds I guess. There were also right at 200 second choice applicants so u gotta figure that number in too but some 2nd choice obviously draw their 1st choice. All in all 400 applicants chasing 12 tags

Well for 23S there were 237 first choice applicants last yr. and twelve tags after bonus pass. So not terrible odds I guess. There were also right at 200 second choice applicants so u gotta figure that number in too but some 2nd choice obviously draw their 1st choice. All in all 400 applicants chasing 12 tags

If 23s was their second choice what do you think their first choice was? Probably not 4b late cow. Pretty small number draw their first choice. I don't think people realize just how tough some of these units are. And once they do, they often decide to go hunt elsewhere. In reality, someone with 10 pts now could draw a decent unit now, and probably one more time before they are good my to make the bonus pass on 23. So you tell me, which is better 2 good hunts or 1 great hunt?

If 23s was their second choice what do you think their first choice was? Probably not 4b late cow. Pretty small number draw their first choice. I don't think people realize just how tough some of these units are. And once they do, they often decide to go hunt elsewhere. In reality, someone with 10 pts now could draw a decent unit now, and probably one more time before they are good my to make the bonus pass on 23. So you tell me, which is better 2 good hunts or 1 great hunt?
Yea I can't figure why anyone would list 23S as a second choice unless they were just applying for two premium tags. Maybe 23N first choice and 23S Second? Idk? For me, I will never apply for any of these premium units. Just too long to wait and too tough of odds. I would much rather hunt every few yrs in a "sup par" unit and at least be chasing elk!