Sign in to follow this  
jp0212

I'm back with a great story!

Well, it has been WAY too long since I made it on the forum to post. Last October I drew a Unit 22 Coues tag, and found myself in a bit of a pickle. I had my 2nd ACL surgery (on the same knee) last February. I thought for certain I would be good to hunt that coming fall, but naturally it didn't work out that way as my recovery was pretty tough. This was my first ever Coues hunt, and I unfortunately only had enough time to get out and scout one spot way back in the Mazatzal Wilderness. I though for sure it was a doozie. After camping back there solo for a few days I made my way home for a night. I ended up posting a thread asking for some help, and never could have imagined how much help I got. The biggest shout outs go to Adam "Big Browns" and Jason "AZ_Sawbuck". Adam spent a ton of time on the phone with me discussing tactics and even sent me to a couple great spots. Unfortunately, as hunting goes, the deerses did not want to play along. Jason even offered up his help and even came out the last day to help me glass. We hiked up a decent mountain and saw some does, but that big buck I wanted never showed. Unfortunately for me, we had to hike out in the dark and the mountain was pretty steep. My legs were cashed out after spending so many days hiking all over the place, so I ended up biting the dust HARD. Jason even went as far as to help me out by carrying my rifle for me because my right leg had turned into jello and my knee was killing me. I owe those guys a ton, and wish I'd have gotten to this sooner. Of course, the hunt was a huge success despite eating tag soup as EVERY hunt is, because of the experience and the great pictures I got to take up on that mountain.

post-6147-0-95698900-1453595598_thumb.jpg

post-6147-0-40786200-1453595623_thumb.jpg

Fast forward to today and I got to enjoy one of my favorite moments to date while hunting. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I had to adopt my niece and nephew a few years back. After seeing my wife and I get a couple Antelope last year, they both got extremely interested in hunting. I told them they would have to take a Hunter Safety course before I would allow them to go hunting. As a result of the course, my niece was chosen as one of the lucky few who would get to participate in the 2016 Ken Middleton Memorial Youth Hunt. Today she got herself her very first animal!!! A great looking pheasant!

I don't think I have seen that kid so excited in quite some time. It was amazing seeing her call everyone and sending them all the picture showing off her trophy. Can't wait to get that mount back to hang up on the wall with that picture. If there are any members on here that volunteered at that event, thank you so much. Know that you made a HUGE difference in one kids life. It really is great seeing the dollars we spend investing in our wildlife going to a good use. These are the moments that make hunting so addicting! Tomorrow is my nephews 12th birthday, and he asked me to take him out coyote hunting. I am hoping to land him his first animal tomorrow. Planning to try a spot that I KNOW has a ton of yotes, but I haven't had any luck in. Let's hope they play along!

• Like 6

That's awesome that they are interested in hunting sounds like you are raising them right congrats to you and your niece

Nice work getting those kids outside and making a positive impact on them. My hats off to you.

congrats to her on her first trophy!