Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Don Martin

Hunt success in Unit 18B on the juniors hunts!

Me and the guys at Arizona Wildlife Outfitters had an awesome time last weekend in Unit 18B on the juniors javelina hunt.

Cody Jalbert assisted 4 young men on their hunt and they all got shots and two of them bagged pigs!

post-11017-0-83085200-1453795399_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-50980000-1453795419_thumb.jpg

AWO guide Tad Levandowski and myself, along with Jay Chan assisted Golden Valley residents Ryan and Laura Borden on their hunts.

It was tough on opening day, we found just three pigs despite some serious glassing all day. Our young hunters didn't get a shot!

Score pigs 1, hunters 0

On Saturday it started off better when a pair of porkers ran across the road in front of us as we were driving to our first glassing spot.

Tad and the young hunters headed after them, but lost them in the thick brush. Score Pigs 2 Hunters 0

20 minutes later we had just started glassing when Tad found a group of 14 pigs coming out of a den on a nearby hillside.

Up the mountain they went while Jay and I kept the eye on them.

Laura never got a shot, but Ryan got on a sow and fired three times. Two of the shots were hits.

post-11017-0-37837200-1453795649_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-44089300-1453795674_thumb.jpg

Score Pigs 2, Hunters 1

An hour later Jay glassed up a herd of 10 pigs about 3/4 of a mile away feeding on a hillside.

Jay and tad took Laura on the stalk but the swirling wind gave them away, and Laura ended taking shots at 210 and 230 yards, but unfortunately missed!

Score Pig 3 Hunters 1

Later on that day after lunch we split up with Tad and Jay taking Laura with them, while Ryan and I glassed from a good vantage point.

With about an hour and a half of daylight left, I glassed up a large group of pigs about two miles away on a flat.

post-11017-0-32751400-1453796274_thumb.jpg

Tad, Jay and Laura made a fast climb up the mountain and Laura bagged her boar with one shot at 185 yards with my Rock River Fred Eichler Edition AR.

post-11017-0-09372600-1453796390_thumb.jpg

Tad was even able to get the shot on video.

Final score, Pigs 3 hunters 2!

Laura's boar weighed 38 lbs. 7 oz and currently in second place in our Big Pig contest.

Had a great time with all the kids and everyone left happy.

Glad we were able to get them on pigs!

Next up is our friends coming in with HAM tags, then a few more coming with general rifle tags.

Unit 18B is our favorite javelina hunt and we constantly have high success there.

If you have a 18B tag and want some professional help, give me a call.

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

928 303-9481

• Like 4

Sounds like a great weekend for all involved nice of you to help the kids and congrats to those who filled their tags still have onr more weekend