Sign in to follow this  
wklman

caracara

Polyborus_plancus.jpghave any of you guys ever seen one of these birds? i saw one while i was out delivering the reservation down in sells. its one of the neatest looking birds i've ever seen. i didn't know what kind of bird it was until i asked my brother about it.

Yes, I have seen them in southern az down by the border and in mexico. They are much more common in Mexico than in AZ. They eat carion as well as take live prey.

Amanda

I see them almost everyday down in the lower 36 units while I'm at work..

I also used to see them in south TX when I would frequent that part of the state.. cool birds! We used to call them Mexican eagles, even though that isn't they're true name.

thanks for the pic! Did you take it on the Rez?? Looks like an imm. bird.. The fully mature ones are really brightly colored and easily seen from far away.. The white on them gets really bright. Cool pic! I always try and get pics of them, but either don't have my camera ready, or they fly off right when I get ready!! I want to take a pic of one on top of a saguaro.

They're neat birds. I think they are in the falcon family and are Mexico's national bird.

My wife and I have time shares in Mazatlan, so we see them all the time. When I fish for bass at El Salto, I watch them wage war on the vultures in midair. They literally go into a dive at them. -TONY

lol,Scotty i got that photo off of wikipedia. i wanted to have a pic of what i saw so i found a pic online. i wish i could of taken a pic like that.

Wade