ElkDeer

Information for Unit 30B

Hello everyone! I was fortunate enough to get a first-come, first-serve white-tail tag in Unit 30B. The problem is that I have never hunted Unit 30B and I am looking for any information anyone can provide? Where to go? How to get there? Who to talk to to get permission for private land access? Scouting reports? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I have read some other postings in other forums and although some people say Unit 30B is shot-out, I am really excited about hunting a new area. There is a lot of talk about the coues white-tail in the Mule Mountains, any truth to this?

Thank you in advance for any information you may have. Any hunt is better than no hunt at all!

That website workhorse mentioned will probably tell you more about the unit than most hunters on this forum can. There's a few other 30B locations about the mule mountains and other spots throughout this forum. One of the topics was if there was any deer in 30B. To tell you the truth not many, though I have never hunted the unit, but the kill percent sucks. Just try to go to the higher hills in the unit and glass in the mornings and evenings. Try and email some other hunters with 30B tags on this forum and they may provide information. You probably took this tag because a hunt is better than no hunt so get out there and scout. Good Luck

Later,

Mike

I too, drew this hunt several years ago because ANY Coues hunt is better than no hunt! I hunted several steep, rough canyons on the West side of the Dragoon Mountains in the northern part of the unit. I saw several does, but no bucks. I did however, hike past two hunters packing out a smaller 2x3 from one of these canyons. Two co-workers of mine also drew this hunt (as a second choice if you can believe that!) and may scout a little before their Nov. hunt. If they come up with anything, I will pass it along.

I have hunted there twice in the last eight years, I missed a beauty one sunday morning during a drizzle, went with my son about two years ago and spotted a 3x3 about 7:30am but it took off rather quickly..you can be amongst other hunters if you take middle march pass road about three miles before tombstone and go east about 10 miles to middle march canyon, the deer are there but you really have to hunt and be lucky, the Dragoons are a pretty site..get a forest map and call the game wardened for that area..good luck....vml

I hunted the area about 3 years ago to no avail. However, I was mule deer hunting. My dad, friend, and I hiked deep into the middle of the mule mountains, stopping to glass at every saddle, peak, etc. Well we stopped for about an hour for lunch and a short nap. We woke to two bucks in the very bottom of the canyon. Well from where we were they looked like mule deer, so my friend and I put an amazing stalk on these two bucks and trecked to about, 30 yrds. We jumped them in the bottom and I brought up my gun to shoot. But, the white flags popped up and I lowered it again. Both were fairly large forks. Yeah that was three years ago. However, I know there are still back in there. just glass, glass, and hey....glass some more and have fun while your at it.

Bryson, thank you for your information. Could I get a pm as well? I am planning a scouting trip in the next few weeks before my hunt, which is Oct. 29 - Nov. 1. I'll let everyone know what we see!

Thanks Bryson! I didn't originally get drawn this year but I was able to get a first-come, first-serve permit for 30B. Is Dry Canyon in the Mule Mountains?

Flagstaff4398, we havent' gone scouting yet but I think we are going to try to hunt the Mule Mountains. I've done some reading on different forums and the Mules seem to have more deer. Although some people think 30B has very little deer.

ElkDeer