ElkDeer

Information for Unit 30B

ElkDeer, I have the October tag also. I spent some time in the Dragoons the other day and did not like the looks of all the roads in the area. I plan on backpacking into the Mule Mountains and spending the hunt looking at some new country. I will not be able to make it back down to do any more scouting because of my elk hunt but I will keep an eye out for you during the hunt.

Bryson,

Thanks for the PM. My dad and I spent all day this past Saturday checking out the unit (30B). We were able to find High Lonesome road and tried every road off of it but every road was either locked or had "No Hunting" signs posted. We took High Lonesome Road, from south of 47 Ranch all the way from the East Mule Mountains to Bisbee and we never found a water tank...? We did talk to a rancher and he told us we couldn't get into the East Mule Mountains from his ranch. Interesting?

What we ended up doing was checking out the Dragoon Mountains and I think that's where we're going to hunt. We did see one doe in the Mules and one doe in the Dragoons. We might even go checkout Black Daimond Canyon in the Southeast Dragoons next weekend.

Well our hunt did not go as well as planned but we had fun. On Friday morning, we saw a doe and her fawn. About an hour later, some hunters walked through the area we were glassing and pushed out one spike and a one 3x3 but all I could see was the tips of the antlers because of the thick Pinons and I couldn?t get a shot off in time. We didn?t see anything the rest of the day. On Saturday, we saw the same doe and her fawn and then sat and glassed all day and only saw 3 doe. I know that buck was there somewhere watching us through the trees. On Sunday we sat in the morning and didn?t see anything so we decided to start hiking around. We spooked one doe but that was it. Finally, on Monday, we walked the flats and only spooked 4 doe. It was frustrating to not get any shots off but it was definitely fun to get out in the wilderness and enjoy the wildlife.