Sign in to follow this  
mpriest

Redding Type S Bushing Full length sizing die

Was looking into this die for reloading a 6.5 Grendel AR. I heard it reduces pushback when loading in semi autos. For those in the horde that use this die are you having to buy bushings for it? If so what bushings are you using? Would the standard Redding Full Length Sizer die be sufficient? Guys with other 6.5 size carterages feel free to chime in as well. TIA

Please describe what you are meaning by pushback... and what you want the bushing die to accomplish.

I don't think the Redding dies come with bushings. My Forster set came with 3 bushings. I have only used bushing dies with neck turned brass. If unturned brass was very uniform in neck thickness it should work OK, but the intent would be to reduce loaded cartridge runout and reduce the working of the brass in the neck over repeated loadings.

The bushing in the die is used to control the neck tension. You can buy different size bushings to achieve desired tension. Measure the neck diameter of your loaded case with a dial indicator, then reduce that measurement by .002" to .004" and you will have the size(s) that will work. Not sure how much difference it will make in an AR platform over standard dies, as these were designed for tight neck chambers.

• Like 1

I've been using bushing style dies for many shooting applications including AR platforms. The bushing size you will need will be determined by the loaded cartridge neck diameter and the shooting application. Start by measuring your loaded cartridge neck diameter with the brand of brass that you will be using and subtract .003" to determine bushing diameter. This is a starting point and whether or not this will produce the desired neck tension for your shooting application is a matter of trial and error. Another fact to consider in choosing bushing size, is whether you use the expander button or not. I prefer to not use the expander button to eliminate any distortion or neck run out. For AR applications increased neck tension is sometimes desirable to produce a round that will retain the original seating depth, as too light bullet tension will result in the bullet driven deeper into the case during cartridge feed from the magazine. Bushing full length dies will bump the shoulder and the amount of bump should be measured with a headspace guage to determine what headspace dimensions will work best with your rifle. FYI I use bushing dies for both my hunting firearms and competitive firearms.

• Like 1

If you are just trying to increase neck tension for magazine feeding in a semi auto, and don't want to pay extra for a bushing die, you can chuck the expander button in a drill and reduce it's diameter a little at a time with a fine grit sandpaper to increase tension.

The shoulder bump comment is a good one. For bolts I'd go .0015-.002in for hunting, AR's .002-.003 and maybe .003 -.004 for M1's and M1a's with the slamfire concerns.

Thanks for the advise. Been a long week so I haven't been able to reply. My current factory Hornady loads measure .288. I figure I will use a .287 bushing to reload these. I intend to switch to Lapua brass which I head is a little thicker so I'll order a .288 bushing for these. Pushback is the bullet moving back in the casing when loaded as L Cazador described. i don't want to use a crimper die si achieving a good neck tension is desirable.

Your best bet is to follow the directions from Redding:

Search "bushing selection" on their site and you will get a step by step. After you do this then call them, they are extremely helpful and will give you the best answer for your desired outcome. This will take all of 10 minutes, maybe, and make things easier on you than any trial and error.

I would have pasted the link but the site won't let me for some reason.