idgaf

Decoy question

I've had really mixed results with decoys. Sometimes they come running in at full bore, other times as soon as they see the decoy they hold up strutting and wanting the hens to come to them. That said my decoys are pretty old and when you stuff them in a bag they don't always look realistic in a fast setup.

In my experience, if you have two or more young toms they tend to race in. If you have an older, single tom he is less likely to come all the way in. My sons have killed a LOT of turkeys over the past few years in the youth hunt and it's really been a mix anywhere from setting up with a blind and decoys to driving and calling where you hear a gobble in the distance, next gobble is on top of you and you hide behind whatever is there.

For me, it's the most fun if you do the full setup with a blind and decoys and get to coax them in, but that hasn't always been the most productive.

• Like 2

Big Browns is right on...Every situation is different, you just got to get that "feel" and then, some of time you are wrong! LOL

I like using decoys (I use Avian X) and they have really worked!

One time a few years ago on San Carlos, my friend Eric and I had a pair of gobblers walk in on us while we were in a blind with the decoys out front.

On video it was 1,2,3, BAM and both long beards hit the ground!

Man I can't wait till April 2 and that San Carlos opener!

I would say use decoys 100% of the time. Just set them up according to how the birds are acting.

The Dave Smith Decoys are absolutely devastating. I've never seen birds react in the way I have to them. They aren't lightweight but they are worth the haul.

I run a 1/4 strut jake and a feeding hen most of the time and have found this very productive. If I need to add another hen early in the season I will do that. I have a few go-to set ups.

1. Jake and hen 10 yards apart and 20yrds out from me as if they are passing through or feeding. Jake following the hen.

2. Jake over top of the hen. I will take the hen off the stake or push the stake down low so it is almost a breeding position. This really fires up mature gobblers when they see it.

3. If I can find a spot where they are dusting or could dust I will set a hen in the bowl and the jake close behind.

lastly-- I will always set up the jake so he is quartering away from me. The gobblers I've seen will approach head on, which offers a decent shot. BUT- If you wait for it they will nearly always circle to the side and come up along the jake with their tail towards you. Which gives time to move your gun or draw your bow.

Check out these two videos:

www.youtube.com/channel/UC_YofGDHaCLEO6lspNBoVKw

Good stuff duckhunter but cmon heavy?! I routinely carry 3-4 DSD's and have never thought man these things are heavy and I hike several miles with them... Now elk quarters are heavy and worthy of commenting on ;-)

• Like 1

My favorite setup is a strutting tom decoy with a hen laying on the ground and a Jake on top of hen. Gobblers can't seen to resist barreling in and trying to knock the jake off the hen.

Brian

• Like 1

Good stuff duckhunter but cmon heavy?! I routinely carry 3-4 DSD's and have never thought man these things are heavy and I hike several miles with them... Now elk quarters are heavy and worthy of commenting on ;-)

Ok Ok-- more awkward than anything. I don't mind them but most of my hunting is here in KY and within a mile of the truck at most. If yall are humping around those mountains in AZ I don't know if I'd like to drag em around. Maybe inside a pack or something less awkward than the huge bag they come with.

Hopefully in the next few days we will see if I get a crack this fall at those elk quarters!!!

Decoys are deadly at the right times...I've had birds fly into my decoys and I've had older Gobblers run from the Jake, just the same!

post-8681-0-54592000-1458435013_thumb.jpeg

post-8681-0-15604600-1458435032_thumb.jpeg

post-8681-0-05173700-1458435051_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

All in all, great fun...I only Bow hunt, so having them close and occupied helps....

post-8681-0-27011600-1458435202_thumb.jpeg

I also use the DSD's...Jake, Upright Hen, Feeding Hen and this year added the Lead Hen...

I use my upright as a breeder, like in the first top photo!

• Like 1