Sign in to follow this  
Huntn coues

Found this while out scouting

I came across 2 of these this weekend and they were only about 30yrds apart. Just thought I would share since

I have never came across one let alone two until this weekend.

Any idea on why the one has its shell all scratched up??? Mating??

post-1274-1186431232_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1186431168_thumb.jpg

I seem to find them most often when it is 1.) cloudy, and 2.) after the monsoons have started.

I can't take all the credit - my Vizsla finds them more often than I do - he must have sniffed out at least 10 in the last year...

My guess on the scratches are that they are from whatever burrow it was coming out of. They spend much of their time in burrows and when they come out they can have soil or rock dust and scratches on them.

Also, in the first photo, on the back left corner of the tortoise's shell, it looks like there is a v notch in the rim of the shell. This could be a mark put there by a biologist for some research project. Looks like there is no notch on the turtle in the second photo (at least on the side facing the camera).

Amanda

Cool ;)

Gino, would you please teach your son to carry a camera with him <_<

Geez Troy :huh:

:P :D

You no like my phone pics???? Jeeez :P

Cool... what did they score? :P

Longshorts- waasup?

Have not heard from you in a long time. :o

Boone and Crocket or Pope and Young??

My guess on the scratches are that they are from whatever burrow it was coming out of. They spend much of their time in burrows and when they come out they can have soil or rock dust and scratches on them.

Also, in the first photo, on the back left corner of the tortoise's shell, it looks like there is a v notch in the rim of the shell. This could be a mark put there by a biologist for some research project. Looks like there is no notch on the turtle in the second photo (at least on the side facing the camera).

Amanda

I was thinking the same thing. I helped a biologist for a day locating some in the dens and its amazing what they can fit themselves into.

Another intrusting fact is that the females will reobsorbe their unlead eggs in drought years.

Longshorts- waasup?

WAASSUUUUUUUUPPPP!

I'm an SCI guy for a lack of a better scoring system. I think B&C is a great organization that does a lot for wildlife, however there scoring system is garbage imo.

Longshorts- waasup?

WAASSUUUUUUUUPPPP!

I'm an SCI guy for a lack of a better scoring system. I think B&C is a great organization that does a lot for wildlife, however there scoring system is garbage imo.

LMAO.... :lol: :lol:

Get yor soft water system fixed by Grizz???