Sign in to follow this  
Ron G.

Not Coues, but...

Normally whenever I go out specifically to shed hunt, I don't find much, if anything at all. This weekend I used the guise that I was scouting for archery deer. It ended up being a good weekend for bone... (At least for me!)

First antler I found I was out driving around with my wife and son on some roads that I hadn't been on in a while. Looked out my window and what do I see...

P8050033.jpg

I guess some roads don't get driven that often... (same antler, different view)

P8050034.jpg

The next day I went out scouting for deer. After walking a couple of miles, I finally stumbled on something...

P8060053.jpg

I think it is a deer antler, but it is pretty old, and pretty unique.

After only seeing elk and antelope, I was glassing a treed ridge about 800 yds away. As I was scanning the trees for bedded animals, I saw something that looked like antler tines. I broke out my new Jim White tripler and after looking at it for awhile I convinced myself it was an antler. I decided to stick to my original plan and continue down the ridge I was on before cutting over to the other ridge and looking for sheds, I mean deer, over there.

I finally cut over to the other ridge and had just entered the trees when I stumbled on this...

P8060056.jpg

I was thrilled! I continued down the treeline keeping my eyes peeled. About 50 yds further I saw something white up higher on the ridge. While going up to what was actually a stick I about stepped on this...

P8060060.jpg

In this picture you can see the white stick at the top of the picture.

P8060057.jpg

I was thinking 'Sweet!' I hadn't even gotten to my original sighting and had found two 4 pt mule deer sheds... I got to the clump of trees that I thought was the trees I had glassed from almost 850 yds away. I wasn't finding anything, so figured it was just a branch or something I saw instead of an antler. Just to be sure I backed out into a clearing to get a better view of the treeline. I was pretty excited to discover I was still about 75 yds away from the 'real' clump of trees. I zig zagged my way over there, and right where I had spotted it from across the draw was this...

P8060063.jpg

I think this may be my first matched set of antlers, and definitely the first matched set of mule deer antlers I've found. I was definitely excited and kept my eyes open the rest of the way back to the truck, but didn't find anything else.

Backpack full of bone...

P8060064.jpg

Not bad for a morning outing. Here is a picture of the weekend's finds:

P8060089.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures for size reference...

P8060077.jpg

P8060081.jpg

I was pretty excited and thought I'd share my excitement with everyone... I never did see any deer...

GREAT day in the field :)

I think you found as much bone in 1 day as I found this spring <_<

I only have one question :unsure:

Where is the Coueswhitetail.com Hat :huh:

:P Mike

Great finds Ron! Good luck finding the bucks that were carrying that head gear...

I only have one question :unsure:

Where is the Coueswhitetail.com Hat :huh:

I'll have to look into getting me one of those! :)

Ron, Were you near the property? I have been hitting some of the roads around us, but haven't found anything yet. You hit jackpot on that outing. I helped Mark set up three cameras around both units last weekend along with some salt and sweet feed in a feeder. David