Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Broadhead Sharpener

Which one do you use and for what broadheads?

In particular, I blew a coc grave digger through a javelina, it's still in great shape but could use sharpening. I can't see any of the well-reviewed sharpeners being ideal. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I also shoot 3 blade muzzys and would like a solution for both.

Thank you!

This has been up and waiting for a little while and I know how that feels. So, speaking only for myself, sorry for not taking the time; I've been a little preoccupied for the last couple months.

The one I've been using to sharpen VPA 2 blade heads has been an older Lansky kit. It isn't ideal but it includes a multi-angle clamp and 4 narrow stones from coarse to ultra fine. I'm sure you've seen the type: the stones affix to a thin rod and that rod is guided by a slot in the clamp. This keeps the stone at one of 3 or 4 predetermined angles. I also bought a small handheld diamond stone to carry in the field in my pack for touch ups.

I'd like to try something like the Worksharp products but good God do those get expensive. I hope others speak up about this because I'd be interested in seeing what works also. I'm gonna try Solid Broadheads this year and they say all I need is a strop. I don't know about that but I guess we'll see.

I use the G5 stone when I'm in camp, and an old whetstone at home. The flat stones work well with the angle on the Montecs that I shoot. With the curved CoC tip you'd be better off using the lansky sharpener Pac mentioned. It will put a crazy sharp edge on it.