Sign in to follow this  
azhunter85

Pretty sad

Would it be too much of a stretch, that according to the OP's post and Tag numbers that he and his buddy were issued some of the additional tags due to the mistake with the draw... If that is the case and he is so passionate about the number of tags in the unit, IMO the only right thing to do would be to forfeit their tags for the sake of conservation and to not screw the guys that drew tags 1 - 4

Every left over I have gotten had goofy permit numbers compared to number of tags. I figured it was just their left over way of doing permits as first come first served.. Who knows

All the efforts to get the flock where it is and simply just give tags away because of their mistake, not good.

Not exactly. From what I heard and saw at the Commission meeting when this issue was brought up, the Department supposedly offered people who weren't entered a refund and return of their bonus points. The ones that did not accept the offer could petition the Commission for relief. Those that did were given tags by the Commission. Keep in mind that ultimately, 5 people who get appointed by the Governor make these decisions, not someone within the Department. The Department makes recommendations (and the mistakes). The Commission gets the final say. I also should point out that the Commission meetings are Public Meetings. If you were aware that this was an issue and had serious feelings about it, which you clearly do, you should have been there to voice your opinion when the Commission made this decision. Doing it now honestly is educational, but beyond that a waste of energy.

All that aside, I totally agree with your points and I would probably feel exactly the same way!

• Like 1

Never was aware of this, and was told even though I'm tag number one the game and fish manager said someone should have contacted you. I'm not wasting anything but maybe opening eyes for those who may have missed as did I.

Well if any one cares here's my update on my tag, I contacted game and fish and forfeited my tag this morning and will get my points back. Scouting every chance I got did not impress me with what we we're told about not having an effect on the flock. I know I didn't hear every bird but with talking with the unit manager and looking all Over the mountain I came up with 7-8 gobblers. There's 9 tags in the hunt, not good enough for me and the thought of 9 people in a barrel chasing turkeys. So I turned my permit #1 in. Good luck to everyone come friday

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ cool move thinking about the resource before yourself, bravo!!!!!!!!

19a. If they have a hunt, they shouldn't in my opinion.. If they do we will see how they stand on maintaining a good flock.