I checked my trail cam this weekend and unfortunately no bucks but I did get a decent bear. This is in the high desert and I'm wondering whether bears will stick around through the heat of the summer or will it be long gone by the time the season rolls around?

If it is hot and dry, they will keep hitting water regularly. They also goes where the food is though, so if his food source disappears in the area, so will he.

• Like 2

Well, let's see the bear! High desert has much less food sources for bears than areas of higher elevation. That elevational zone will finish its vegetative reproduction soon and that bear will be gone for greener pastures.

• Like 2

Come on there's no bears in the High Desert.lol let's see the picture

The "problem" with trying to keep track of a bear on camera at a water source is that when you check the cam there is a high probability that it will eventually get a whiff of your scent and leave. Get good batteries and a high capacity card and try to only check the the cam every 3-4 weeks. Come in mid day when it is not as likely to be there. Once an older bear gets your scent it will find a new water source.

• Like 1

I'll post the pics when I can here in a bit. Looking on Google Earth it seems like he's already is hanging around some of the highest peaks in the area so I'm not sure where he'll go but I'm sure he can figure something out. I probably won't check the cam for a bit mainly because I won't feel like hiking down there once it gets real hot.