firstcoueswas80

Dry Ice in a yeti/rtic cooler?

I just received my Rtic. Looks nice.

My question is, in trying to maximize what I can fit in it, I've thought about putting a pound of dry ice in the bottom. Would that be enough to keep stuff cold? Would the gas cause an issue with the gasket style lid?

Any other issues/tips/pointers?

I did that once with my Grizzly and everything was frozen solid when I got to camp...sucked!

• Like 1

The key is to "precool"! I usually fill the coolers up with ice a couple days before I plan on leaving. Then I just use frozen 2 liter bottles and that will keep food cold for a couple days.

• Like 2

Yes pre cooling the cooler like BC said is key as well.

• Like 1

get a 36 pack of bottled water freeze them, and layer them with food ...Bottom most bottles will keep 5 - 7 days days in 90 degrees plus temps and the cooler stays in 35 to low 40's range... No need to pay for ICE plus you have extra Cold water as they thaw. I plan my meals and freeze as much as I can packing it So I work from top to bottom out at camp.

If using for Beer cooler do the same thing but spread frozen bottles about between cans .. dump a couple bags of cubes and throw one closed bag on top.

• Like 4

I've used dry ice in my yeti and works great. I throw a small brick of dry ice on the bottom and that keeps everything cold for about 4 days.

I always use dry ice. The key to regulating how cold everything gets is to wrap it in newspaper. I have found just a couple of layers (literally 2-3 pieces layered) is just enough. It keeps the dry ice insulated (thus lasting an extra day) and doesn't give all my stuff frost bite.

When I am just doing fruits and veggies then I will wrap the ice a little more and have NEVER had an issue.

We go camping for about 1 1/2 weeks every year and for that long trip I will throw the ice in a plastic bag as well so nothing gets wet either. Just makes it easier on me. Might sound like a lot of work but when compared to driving an hour to get more ice in a spare cooler a couple of times....its worth every bit.

• Like 5

What ready2hunt said up there^^^! I keep the dry ice wrapped in a brown paper grocery bag.

Bradbaker and c. Cordova, how big were your coolers and how much dry ice did you use?

Mine is a 150 qt. can't remember how much I used. Too much obviously...I think I used enough to cover the bottom of the cooler. It was my first rodeo with dry ice.

I've never tried dry ice, but will now. I have always used the disposable type gladlock/zip lock containers with frozen water to layer in my chest. Works great and keeps everything dry. I use them for my pre-made foods and lunch meats etc. also. The lids nest in each other and make organization easy.

• Like 1