Txhunter1

Arizona velvet mule deer trip tips?

Few buddies and i are heading to arizona in august to chase some velvet mulies and coues and also maybe a bear. Not looking for spots but any tips would be great. Be our first western hunt. hunt Whitetails in texas all of us are young and willing to break our backs hiking in and out putting miles on the boots. Like i said not looking for spots ive done plenty of research just some insite and tips. Looking at unit 27.

• Like 1

Binoculars and patience. And ice to cool meat. Good luck.

What size binos do you suggest read a lot of different things

Depends. I have 12's and a spotting scope. Find them with 12's and see details with the spotting scope. If you don't have a spotting scope the bigger the binos the better but everything considered I've found plenty of stuff with 10's. Just might have to move in closer to confirm if it's a shooter.
  • Like 1

I carry 10's in the straps and 15's mounted to a tripod. Before I had 15's I glassed up lots and lots of coues with 10's mounted to a tripod.

Spot and stalk is a whole new ball game from hunting back east. I would suggest you listen to some of Jay Scotts podcasts on hunting coues. Great info in there about glassing and stalking that is applicable to lots of animals. He shares a lot of lessons that it took me years to learn in the field. It's about the best free advice you can get.

• Like 1

You will see coues high to low in AZ. Mule deer I tend to see high or low.

27 is a great unit for both deer. Its also one of the most rugged units in the state. My advise is always be at your glassing spot before the sun comes up, dont be afraid to sit water from 10am - 2pm if its hot and dry. There is some good transition area in 27. i.e. 3500'-5500'. good luck

Ive taken a couple deer out of 27 with my bow. In my opinion you could not pick a better unit for a first try. This unit litterally has everything from wide open rocky/cactus cover desert terrain in the south to high pine country at over 8500 ft.

I dont like heat stroke or rattlesnakes so I hunt high using treestands.

I think you will see more deer glassing in the open stuff, and if you want big antlers spot and stalk tactics are your friend since scouting will be a problem for you.

But if your game is to just fill a couple tags with anything that is legal, bring a treestand and a good book and plant your butt on a deer trail up in the pines.

Im a 'its brown its down' guy myself and have very limited scouting time too, so I'm not too picky.

• Like 1