muledeerarea33?

Hidden gunsmiths?

Not tryin to break forum rules or anything but I guess I'll ask. It seems like a lot of folks on here do really good work (licensed or not, sponsors or not) I'm looking to have a barrel done this summer and curious what the dark side offers. I can google top custom shops but sometimes the local guys are just as good or better. Post up you work or pm me, I'll try to respond to everyone.

Ever think about trying it yourself? Get a dvd on chambering, by the reamers and gages and come on over, I've got the lathe. But I dont work on weekends without the 'customer' bringing a 24 pack of coronas with them. ;)

• Like 2

Ive been kicking around the idea of doing a barrel myself for my .308, but just havent had the time. If I do, I'd bor it anyway. I hate reamers. Their ok if you are using manual equipment or for very small holes, but with cnc equipment I'd rather bore it. That way I can start small and just keep offsetting the machine .0001" at a time until you hit the exact size you are after. With a reamed hole, you're at the mercy of the tool grinder. Most are very good, but theres a quality difference from brand to brand and they all have tolerance. Unless you have mics to check it before use, you'll never know where your reamer is until after you cut with it.

In the long run, its probably cheaper/safer to just pay someone to do it, but I get a kick out of doing things myself.

We've recently made a bunch of really awesome prototype machine gun parts at work I wish I could show off some pictures of, but we have nondisclosure agreements. :( the bolt carrieris the Mona Lisa of my career so far. This thing started as a 27# slug of steel and ended up being a 1.1# geometrical nightmare. I dont think I've ever taken that much material off a part. Really cool looking.

We built the carrier, bolt, firing pin, feed tray, round guides, breeches and a bunch of other parts for this chain gun thats supposed to fire a minimum of 500 rounds per minute of .50bmg.

We built the carrier, bolt, firing pin, feed tray, round guides, breeches and a bunch of other parts for this chain gun thats supposed to fire a minimum of 500 rounds per minute of .50bmg.

boner achieved.

• Like 1