Sign in to follow this  
Richie

Anyone do stripping/sandblasting

I have some hot rolled 2x5 and 2x4 metal tubing in lengths up to 12ft that I'm looking to get the mill scale taken off. If anyone here does this please pm me. Thanks!

I did a little stripping in college but just to pay my way through school. I never got into sandblasting though, sounds too painful for this white boy.

• Like 6

I worked as a sandblaster many years ago, but only for a couple of weeks.

Here's how that summer sandblasting job in 1955 left me claustrophobic:

My uncle had a contract to sandblast the three round water storage tanks on Fort Huachuca, and hired me to help him. I spent a week removing the rust inside one of those tanks until the day the hose that supplied me air from a compressor on the ground came loose from a fitting on my belt.

Inside that metal tank was like an echo chamber. I couldn't hear anything and after I had been blasting only a few minutes I could see only 2-3 feet. (We used a big row of lights and chalk to mark the area we would blast each day.)

When I finally realized my air hose was missing and I was having trouble breathing, I climbed off the scaffolding and tried to find the ladder in the center of the tank. By the time I bumped into the ladder and climbed to the hole at of the top of the tank, I had almost suffocated.

I was wearing a leather vest-like "helmet" (similar to those deep-water divers wear) that covered my head, arms, hands and chest and when I reached the top, I unbuckled and ripped it off. The plume of dust, sand and dirt coming out of that tank blinded me and I started off the side of the tank without a non-skid walkway.

I tried to lie flat with my feet pointed to the edge to slow myself, but couldn't stop sliding. The only thing that kept me from going over was an electrical conduit that fed the lights around the tank.

After I was able work over to the ladder and get down, I told my uncle I would finish the day by shoveling sand into the machine but I was quitting.

Bill Quimby

Look up that dustless blasting. They have links to local contracors I think. Its a cool lrocess with little cleanup.

Jodi Arias is available for striping parties, just have to go to perryville.