KaibabHunter

Getting a new rifle - advice needed

Pops bought this gUn in 300 wsm for a backup gun in elk camp. He wanted something that could shoot factory vs handrolls for anyone who stumbles in half assed without their equipment. It loves 180 grain Trophy Bonded Claws and 180 grain Accubonds. Seriously, we've never messed around with load development for this gun It's just not worth it unless I get bored with other projects. Sub 3/4 @ 100 is no problem. Have not stretched it past that yet.

So I need some help. I'm mostly a bow hunter and only rifle hunt on my kids tags. I know enough to get them up and running out to 300 yards.

Should have hung around "4th" sqd more on deployment

"Should have hung around "4th" sqd more on deployment"

Ha! You and I must know each other! If ur not 1st ur last! And me a pm cause sorry but I can't put a face to u.

Nosler Trophy Grade or HSM.

Is HSM more reliable than they used to be? I tried them years ago and found their specs to be wildly out of whack. Their ammo would not feed reliably. Thats was literally years ago though.

• Like 1

I know a few guys who shoot them with great results. I handload everything, so I couldn't say with firsthand knowledge.

I picked up the bare Tikka today. All the other stuff I ordered had arrived so I just did the first round of putting it all together. I had a $1200 budget and have already exceeded it by probably less than $100. This is a budget factory Tikka T3 Lite 300 Win Mag topped with a Leupold 3xi 4.5x14x40 mm scope that's gonna shoot factory ammo. I was able to get a sweet discount on the scope and a couple other things so it's probably closer to $1600 full retail. I'm open to feedback i.e. cheesey, good/bad etc. Let me know what you think.

image_17.jpeg

image_19.jpeg

Looks good. I am buying the same scope soon for my tikka. Love the vx-3 line. It is the perfect hunting scope and doesnt break the bank.

Shot it for the first time this weekend. Very happy with the very light recoil - feel like I could shoot it all day long with the brake and recoil pad. This was more of a barrel break in then a zero and group but it was starting to tighten up. I also shot my boys 270 Win that I put a recoil pad on (no brake) and I think it was bucking me more than the 300 Win Mag. Next session will start the actual zero (assuming it likes my ammo).

I grew up on Winnie's ... mostly Mauser Style. Hard for me to break that habit. But after my son bought a Tikka T3 Ultralight in .22-250, I've got to say I'd be hard pressed not to go for one if I was getting an "Off the Rack" rifle. They are light, smooth, accurate, and the trigger is pretty darned good. His shoots TIGHT groups ... easily Sub MOA. If I was spending a few more bucks I'd get the Tikka's big Brother ... SAKO is ONE heck OF A RIFLE.

• Like 1

I was gonna lighten the trigger to its min 2lbs but the factory 3lbs felt fine to me for round 1. I'm hoping to get out next weekend for round 2 with it. That'll also be when I start to put the Barnes 165's thru it and start to group it. Also have a chronograph lined up to run it thru before I order my one free turret. Unfortunately Sako was not in my budget but I'm happy with this combo so far.