KaibabHunter

Getting a new rifle - advice needed

For the money you can't beat the vx-3i. The cheapest scope I would put on any rifle I intend to hunt with.

• Like 1

I have to agree you cant go wrong with a Leupold.

• Like 1

While I do not nearly have the experience as a lot of folks on this site have, I will still chime in.

I have a Savage Weather Warrior (300 Win Mag) topped with a Vortex Viper HS 4x16-44 with a Kenton custom turret. I run 180 grain Barnes TTSX ammo. My total cost is about what your budget is.

I've shot it out to 500 yards; it is sub-MOA. The Kenton turret has been spot on for me (~3500-7000 feet). Attached is an image from shooting at 500 yards; first time at that distance and all errors are mine.

post-13905-0-04222600-1468308868_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Tikka 300 mag, you'll probably start looking(after a few shots)for a muzzle brake - great gun, (my son has 2.) but light guns kick - Newton's 3rd law.

Look at the Vais muzzle brake - best on the market for my $$$.

Scope, Probably don't need or want a 50mm, to clear the barrel requires the scope to be mounted too high so you'll need a cheek pad to raise your head up which increases weight and adds bulk. I'd certainly try a 40mm before I went through all that trouble - just my opinion.

Tikka - plastic stock? If so, go to the local hardware store and get a can of spray foam insulation: take off the recoil pad and fill it about half way with foam - it expands - thus half should be plenty. Tikka have hollow stocks, and they are noisy, the foam deadens the noise and helps during recoil.

My opinion on muzzle brakes:

I love them for reducing recoil.

While the Vias is a great brake for reducing recoil, I will never again own a brake that has bottom ports. When shooting prone, or even from a sitting position, they kick a lot of sand/dust/rocks/grit up. I much prefer a brake with side ports only. Like the Badger Thruster, APA Bastard line, and many others.

They are loud! Even one shot while hunting without ear protection will ring your ears. And big magnums have severe muzzle blast to the sides. So be aware of your spotter's position. And most 400+ yard shots are going to be taken from a sitting or prone position. Not all, but a majority.

I have brakes even on some smaller cartridges like my 6.5 SLR, that don't really need them to shoot comfortably. But it is very nice to be able to stay on target and see impact if you have proper shooting form as well.

A brake will definitely eat into your budget unless you find a rifle with one already installed. Money well spent though, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Lots of good advice and I'm getting closer to my nailing down my choices. I talked with leupold and he didn't think the 50mm would be an issue on a tikka but it would be tight. I'll probably go with a 40mm so I don't have to deal with it. Wouldn't have known that so thx. What are your thoughts on the Leupold VX-R Fire dot scopes for big game hunting?

I like leupold. I prefer a 40 mm unless I am getting a 30mm tube. the 300 win in that light of rifle is quite a bit if recoil, I would think as a bow hunter you would use the bow for elk. I would get a smaller caliber for deer than the 300mw.

He already has a 7-08 and a .270. Plenty for elk and deer. Maybe take your budget and do some upgrades on the .270. Stock and bedding, trigger, even a rebarrel to .280 AI.

He already has a 7-08 and a .270. Plenty for elk and deer. Maybe take your budget and do some upgrades on the .270. Stock and bedding, trigger, even a rebarrel to .280 AI.

this. If it was me I would rebarrel. 280AI is an amazing cartridge. There's so many options....

It's all been ordered so I guess I'll have to make it work. I came in $65 under budget. Here's what I ended up with:

Tikka T3 Lite 300 Win Mag (blued)

Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40mm CDS w/Wind Plex reticle

Leupold dual dovetail base/rings

Limb saver recoil pad

Kahntrol Muzzle Brake

I'm gonna start with Barnes TTSX 180 gr and see what it does.

• Like 2

I like the barnes TTSX in 165... A perfect world would be that bullet in a 168. I just find a 168 is a perfect grain for a 30 caliber bullet..

Congrats on your purchase!!! Break that puppy in right.

Thx for everyone's input so far! The only thing I have left to decide on is ammo. I was sold on the Barnes TTSX 180 but cringe at the $50/box price. Another option would be Remington CoreLokt 180 which runs up to $30/box. I think the Barnes is a good all around option for the possible 400+ yard shot and the CoreLokt is proven for up to 400 yards but looses accuracy on the longer shots. The odds are that my shot will be under 400 but who knows. Any thoughts? I'm on a budget for my hunt and any savings I can find will allow me to scout more.