Bucks_N_Yotes

Anyone seeing lions while out scouting?

Just wondering if any of you have been seeing lions out when you were scouting?I saw one this past weekend when I was out scouting around Camp Verde. I was about to take a shot at it when it vanished from my sight! Guess thats the way it goes some days.

How many areas are open to hunting lions?? I thought the mass majority was closed due to the new law :unsure: :unsure:

Are'nt most of the sheep units still open?

How many areas are open to hunting lions?? I thought the mass majority was closed due to the new law :unsure: :unsure:

Call Game and Fish or the officer for that unit! I know that there are alot of units that have an objective! (15 lions in 6A) You should also read the hunt regs for more info.

Saturday Night driving back from Scounting Unit 23 in NM I saw a big cat run across the highway between Morenci and Safford. If I recall it was around Mile Marker 49.

Lion Season is closed except for multiple bag limit area's in certian units. The hole unit may not be open. In unit 27 it is only around Bear canyon and Pipestem. Be sure you know where these special boundries are, because they follow more trails than roads.

It should open back up state wide on September 1st.

DCM

Call Game and Fish or the officer for that unit! I know that there are alot of units that have an objective! (15 lions in 6A) You should also read the hunt regs for more info.

It asked a question for the guy's on the forum. I know they are in the Regs but I was making conversation. There are alot of guy's on this forum that are pretty hip to Lions.

Read the hunt regs :angry: :angry:

Lion Season is closed except for multiple bag limit area's in certian units. The hole unit may not be open. In unit 27 it is only around Bear canyon and Pipestem. Be sure you know where these special boundries are, because they follow more trails than roads.

It should open back up state wide on September 1st.

DCM

Thank's DCM.

It asked a question for the guy's on the forum. I know they are in the Regs but I was making conversation. There are alot of guy's on this forum that are pretty hip to Lions.

Read the hunt regs :angry: :angry:

I have read the regs, and talk to the unit manager! When there is an objective that they are needing to meet, they will let you kown where they have been getting lion calls or trouble spots that they need help with! I am not trying to start an argument on who is right or wrong, I am just telling you what I was told

you guys need to read the reg's real good because they are sorta confusing. for instance, you can shoot lions from sept 1 till may 31, in every square foot of u27. it only has the mulitple bag limit in the bear canyon and pipestem units. from sept 1 to may 31, you can shoot a lion anywhere. the "quota" is for multiple lions. in the areas with multiple bag limits you can shoot one lion "PER DAY", until the multiple bag limit has been achieved, then it reverts to one lion per year, of which the multiple bag limit lions that were shot do not apply. so if you're good enough, hypothetically, one guy can shoot 21 lions in u27, in 21 days. i'm surprised at some of the units that don't have a multiple bag limit this year. i saw a smokin' hot lion track in u28 a couple weeks ago. fresh enough that i think i coulda found it if i'd have tried a little. and without dogs. but it was hot and i was lazy and had my ol' man with me, so i didn't. got to looking at the regs later, and from what i could read, i'da been illegal if i'da shot it. personally, i think this sept 1 to may 31 deal is stupid as heck, has absolutley no biological merit, was done only to appease huggers, is the first step in outlawing lion hunting, and whoever thought of it oughta be whupped. lions breed and have younguns year round. i think a guy should buy a lion tag when he gets his license and if he sees a lion he oughta shoot it. they're a great trophy that is vastly underhunted. Lark.

I just called G & F and here are the open objectives:

6A South-15 lions

13B South-10 lions

15B-10 lions

16A South, and 18B South- 15 lions

22-12 lions

Bear Canyon in 27-5 lions

Pipe Stream in 27- 4 lions

40A- 4 lions

42- 2 lions

Otherwise its open state wide Sept 1st 2007 to May 31st 2008

you guys need to read the reg's real good because they are sorta confusing. for instance, you can shoot lions from sept 1 till may 31, in every square foot of u27. it only has the mulitple bag limit in the bear canyon and pipestem units. from sept 1 to may 31, you can shoot a lion anywhere. the "quota" is for multiple lions. in the areas with multiple bag limits you can shoot one lion "PER DAY", until the multiple bag limit has been achieved, then it reverts to one lion per year, of which the multiple bag limit lions that were shot do not apply. so if you're good enough, hypothetically, one guy can shoot 21 lions in u27, in 21 days. i'm surprised at some of the units that don't have a multiple bag limit this year. i saw a smokin' hot lion track in u28 a couple weeks ago. fresh enough that i think i coulda found it if i'd have tried a little. and without dogs. but it was hot and i was lazy and had my ol' man with me, so i didn't. got to looking at the regs later, and from what i could read, i'da been illegal if i'da shot it. personally, i think this sept 1 to may 31 deal is stupid as heck, has absolutley no biological merit, was done only to appease huggers, is the first step in outlawing lion hunting, and whoever thought of it oughta be whupped. lions breed and have younguns year round. i think a guy should buy a lion tag when he gets his license and if he sees a lion he oughta shoot it. they're a great trophy that is vastly underhunted. Lark.

Thanks Lark! That is what I was getting at! To bad I was in the middle of a phone call with G&F and working on the next reply or I wouldn't have wasted my time on the phone!

Thank's Lark.

Wasn't it the Houndsman who pushed this sept 1st deal thru?

I've heard that mentioned before , I'd like to know more about who was behind it . I'm haveing trouble believeing it was real hound hunters.

Yes, it was houndsmen that pushed this through. They were trying to be proactive and help make lion hunting less vulnerable to attack by those who feel hunting in the summer is cruel because kittens might be left without a mother.

I have a copy of the letter the houndsment put together, but I have to dig it up.

Amanda

we called one in about a month ago in 7e. not a giant one but not a cub either. he or she lives today thanks to someone closing lion season. i am not a good liar.