Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Shooting

I can't find a strait answer on tonto national forest site about shooting. I know normally this time of year is closed, but there is nothing definitive on the website. I refuse to go to the range to be killed by an amateur while the range nazis aren't paying attention. Is there anywhere else to go?

Per the current fire restrictions, the Tonto NF is currently closed to the discharge of a firearm unless lawfully hunting.

Yup, State lands will be closed until we get some rain. The prickly pear pads in 22 and 23 were shrivled up and it is really dry out there. The bear opener is close and hunting is OK but target shooting is way too risky right now.

Under the right conditions a spark could set a fire off that could overtake you before you had a chance to pack up and get out. I understand your concern about public ranges. A couple of years ago a dad was shooting with his 8 or 9 yo kid at the bench next to me and the kid had a little bearcat. After shooting it with his dad the dad moved to the next bench and was doing some other shooting. When a cease fire was called the kid laid the revolver down, pointed in my direction.

I calmly walked over and pointed it downrange and explained to him why. The dad then came over and scolded the poor kid saying don't ever let someone touch our guns loud enough for me to hear.