Allforelk

Shoulder Rehab

I would love some advice. I have not slung an arrow since the 80's at Camp Geronimo. I need to get my dominant shoulder in shape following an injury. Because of this site, I really want to pick archery up. I would appreciate any and all advice for a starting point and a recommendation for the SE valley as far as shops/ranges.

Thank you in advance. I've tried Google, and other reviews, but I feel the B.S. sift here is much more manageable.

Archery HQ is my favorite shop on the east side. I seperated my shoulder in college and had to rehab it back into shape. My Physical Therapist had me using theraband doing different exercises to get it back into shape. You can Youtube theraband shoulder exercises and I am sure it will work it back into shape. You can use exercise rubber bands instead of theraband if you don't have a connection to someone who has it.

There and strengthening is good advice. Lots of youtubes out there. If you want to take it one step further take a look at the Dry Fire Pro training device. www.dryfirearchery.com Invented by a bowhunter in Pinetop...great for strengthening and form.

If you're able to draw and shoot get some good lessons on form and start right. Then shoot a lot of bows and find one you like in your price range. Maybe one of the more adjustable ones so you can start with a low draw weight if needed due to injury and work your way up. Sorry I don't have any advice on shops in the valley.

Archery is great! Good luck and enjoy!

Never had a major shoulder injury, so I'll let others speak to that. The two guys I know that have had issues used the same type of bands Flatlander mentioned(not sure on what exercises though), and both picked up youth bows to start shooting at much lower draw weights before getting back into their normal rigs.

When I lived in the east valley, Archery HQ is where I went. Shot the dart league there one season, had a good time. For outdoor ranges, there is one at Usery Park (fee to enter, and across the hwy from the shooting range) and one at Papago. I used the one at Papago extensively as it was on the way home and there was hardly anyone else ever there. I remember haering several years ago that there was an archery range built at a park in either Chandler or Gilbert, but I've never been there so cannot comment. Of course, there's always your backyard if it's big enough.

Once you get up and shooting, let me know and we can go chase some Coues not far from your house.

• Like 1

Thank you gents, have all the darkest colors of bands and even bought the Chuck Norris machine. No B.S., awesome for stretching on the Chuck. Getting over 2lb dumbbell workouts is humbling. I will follow the addice and have sent some P.M's.

Bowfit..... All your ever need. You'll want the "heavy" one, but you can still start off light with it, and work up!

post-641-0-41727700-1469365880.jpg

post-641-0-38113600-1469365894.jpg