Sign in to follow this  
mike ornoski

found bear

Man I hate to hear that. Such a waste to shoot and not put in the time and efort to track it down. It sounds like it could be a good bear season.

I hope this reminds everyone to put in all the efort you can into finding your downed game. If we are not willing to put in the work for the game we should not shoot at it. I have seen them go along ways wounded. A gut shot is painfull enough that I do not believe she went far from the spot she was shot.

I hate to get all bent about this, But I tagged a spike mule deer one year that I saw two guy's shoot twice. One shot blew the bottom jaw off the deer the other hit it in the ancle (it would have survived the flesh wound to the ancle) not the missing jaw. I went over after they said it was just a spike. I put one round through the heart and tagged it. By the time I got down to it they had taken off.

I hate to see it waste. I would go get the skin and all if I had seen it.

a bear with a bow is sorta tricky anyway. they are usually so fat that there isn't much blood to track em by. the fat plugs up the wound. a gutshot would present even less blood. only bear i ever shot with a bow was quite close and it stuck the heck out of him. lost the blood trail after about 20 or so yards but the guy i was with could hear it croakin' up the hill and we found it real quick. only went about 80-100 yds and died, but if he hadn't heard it, it would've' taken awhile to find it. too bad it got away from em, but it's too common with bears and bows. poor ol' bears really suffer too. too bad. Lark.

i would have tagged it but under g @ f rule you can not take or tag an animal you did not take. since you have to call it in you would have to lie about it. also a few years back a friend found a deer that was just shot, he went around to all the camps to check if any body lost one. he found a guy that lost one when he saw the deer. he said it was not his he had shot it 6"farther back.so he did not take it. "since it was a small 2 point" meanwhile an old timer in an other camp said he would take it if know one would clam it.well he did @ here came G @ F when he told the story they took the deer gave him a ticket. I've seen this happen 2 other times. Its sad people need to take responsibility @ take what they shoot @ keep tracking for more then an hour and before they give up. you spend all this time and money 11 month out of the year waiting, thinking about the hunt and we dont spend the time after we hit the animal.we need to take the hunt is over attitude in tell we explored all options. to know for a fact you could not find the animal mike

You are right Lark I did not even think about it being with a bow. I guess I better catch up to what time of year it is.

Lark,

I'll have to disagree w/ you on that one. Although bears may have thicker hides, I believe a well placed arrow w/ a sharp broadhead will do the exact same thing on any animal in north america. The bear I just harvested was double lunged, ran about 15 yds, let out a groan and expired. I don't want to preach too much because I am guilty of gut shooting a buck and never finding it, I just think that it is all in shot placement.

Guest Ernesto C

Amen to a well placed shot. Practice and good practice makes us better hunters,besides it is our responsibility to do a clean shot.

Happy hunting every body,take care.

Ernesto C.

Arizona Guide, what the heck gives u the right to assume that the person that shot this bear didnt put forth the time and effort to look for it? because it was lost and not found that makes it ok to assume that the hunter is lazy not sickened by not finding this bear? that pisses me off that you think you have the right to assume something about a hunter who you have no idea who it is.

casey

treestand, i've been on dozens of bear kills. rifle, pistol, muzzleloader and archery. sometimes they pile up quick, sometimes they don't. if they don't, you might be in for some work. in the fall, when you usually hunt bears, they are quite fat and getting fatter, to sleep the winter out. you can blow a heck of a hole in one and it still may not bleed long because fat will plug it up. plus they have real long hair that can trap a lot of blood, especially after it starts to dry a little. they just don't drop blood all over like a deer or an elk that has been hit good. they won't go any farther than any other animal hit in a similar place, but their trail will be much harder to find. they don't leave very distinct tracks like a deer or elk either. their feet are real soft and if there are a lot of leaves or pine needles, almost impossible to track, with no blood trail. you were fortunate that your bear croaked quick. they will usually always find a thick place to lay down and die too. if you ever do shoot a bear, my advice is to stay right after it. don't use the wait 30 minute rule. watch him go down if you can. shoot him again if you can. i've seen bears treed by hounds and heart shot that didn't drop much blood. the fat and hair plugs up the hole. be aware of where he runs, i mean exactly where he runs, so you can look for sign. they can be a "bear" to track. Lark.

Thanks for the advise Lark. You definately have a lot more experience than I do so you very well may be right. I do have a strong opinion about waiting at least 1/2 hour after putting a good hit on an animal and even longer w/ a gut shot unless you see the animal go down. I have known too many hunters that have gone after the animal right away and the animals adrenaline kicks in and they never recover it.

Casey,

Arizona guide was just fine in his post about the bear. He did not personally attack anyone and just left his feelings about not recovering a shot animal. I feel the same way. Your post was a personal attack.

I agree with TREESTANDMAN and ARIZONA GUIDE. That post was way out of line!!

sounds like casey got up on the wrong side maybe. i didn't see where Az. guide said anything derogatory about anyone. just voicing his opinion. worst thing that happens when ya shoot something is ya get all excited. after you get yourself all collected and get ready to look for it, everything looks different. the sun is a little higher usually, you can't decide which way exactly it went. did it go above or below that buncha oakbrush? main thing is to mark where something went and calm down. if you go walk around in the wrong place for just a few minutes, you might be trompin' out sign. i feel almost as sorry for the guy that lost the bear as i do the poor bear. makes a guy sick. get higher than a kite from shootin' a bear and then lose it. bad situation. and bears are a completely different animal to track than any other animal. they think too much. they hide. a deer or elk will usually run till it dies and falls wherever it's blood runs out. an bear will brush up in a thick place. anyway, hunt hard fellers. Lark.

oddly enough I just read an article about a hunter who made a through shot on a white tail shoulder to shoulder and couldnt find it,next season he tagged a 10 pnt that kinda resembled that same deer after he caped it out he found the rest of his arrow still in him from its left to just protruding its right shoulder- now aint that some luck

Guest Ernesto C

Wow newbee,incredible. You know last year in unit 36C during a javelina hunt,I left my sunglasses on a big rock I was standing,I forgot them with the excitment of shooting at those awesome cratures;well this year when I get there it will be nice if I can find them again but on the eyes of a javelina so I can get both :lol: dont you think it will be nice and lucky? Hey every body if you get to see a javelina wearing sunglasses those are mine :P

Later,take care.