Sign in to follow this  
PowellSixO

35B November 4th-10th ?'s

I'm hoping to get a little feed back on this unit guys if you don't mind sharing a little info with me. I'm new to coues hunting, and new to 35B. I live in Northern AZ, and have only been as far south as Tucson. And that was to buy a boat. Lol. I'm not looking for anyone's spots or anything like that, I just some information that might prepare me a little more for the unit please. For one, I'm in great shape and hiking certainly does not bother me. My first question would be, where should I look? Should I look at the flatter lower elevation areas, or part way up the mountains and mid range elevation areas, or all the way to the highest elevations at this time of year? North side slopes, or south side slopes?

I've got an cow elk hunt in October that I'm helping my 2 uncles with, another bull elk hunt in November I'm trying to help my dad with, as well as a tag that I drew in November for late rifle bull. So unfortunately I will not get a lot of scouting time in this unit (I'll be scouting a lot for elk, and 35B is a long ways from me). I do however plan to be down for a couple of weekends before the hunt, and a few days before the hunt, and have the whole hunt off of work. So I will have some time in the unit, but it will be limited time, or at least not as much time as I'd like to spend preparing for a hunt. So I'd appreciate any information I can get on what type of stuff I should focus looking at while I'm there.

Another question I have, is kind of general to all of the coues hunts. Why is the November hunt the least desirable of the hunts?

On to another question. What kind of illegal traffic am I going to be looking at in 35B? As for now I've got plans to stay with a friend on the north end of the unit if that helps narrow down where I'll be staying. Is this unit safe for backpack hunting? I love to backpack hunt, and was kind of thinking of packing in for 3 days at a time. But I don't want to do this if I'm going to have to sleep with one eye open the whole hunt, and fear for my life.

Any other information you'd like to share with me would be much appreciated. Feel free to post it here or PM me. Whatever you're comfortable with. Thanks guys, I appreciate your time. I'm sure I'll think of something else to ask.

I hunt or tag along hunt in 35b just about every year. We will be down there for thanksgiving this year..

Backpacking is great. If you are looking to do it without keeping an eye open, I wouldn't do it there...

I personally don't mind the November hunts but they certainly aren't the best. Folks don't care for them as much because the October hunts puts the pressure on so if you had a buck patterned, it has probably changed.. AND its' before the rut action kicks up.. It's the in between phase but I assure you, there are still deer on every hill.

I love the nov 4th hunt. It is my favorite and that includes the dec rut hunt. they are easy to pattern and are out all morning fedding til 9. I will pm you info since my name is powell lol

Thanks guys I really appreciate the info.

Oh, and what kind of temps can I expect to see this time of year? Any possibility for snow? Thanks.

Guest akaspecials

The unit ranges from really high to really low. There may some snow, but not much to worry about as long as you have 4 wheel drive and common sense.

I've seen some sketchy stuff in 35b and will not go alone anymore. I also will not let the kids go down there. We are typically armed 24/7 and expect border patrol or illegals through our camp at least once a day. We've never had serious issues but the potential is there and keeps me on guard.

The unit ranges from really high to really low. There may some snow, but not much to worry about as long as you have 4 wheel drive and common sense.

I've seen some sketchy stuff in 35b and will not go alone anymore. I also will not let the kids go down there. We are typically armed 24/7 and expect border patrol or illegals through our camp at least once a day. We've never had serious issues but the potential is there and keeps me on guard.

I plan on staying vigilant, and will be carrying concealed. I guess I can count out the back pack hunting. I'll just have to walk in and out each day. I'm hoping there is some snow, I love the cold weather.

Well I got 175 rounds loaded up this weekend. Starting to get serious about the hunt. Going to start shooting 5 shots every day after work. What would you guys say the average shot distance is for coues in this unit? Also is the vegetation pretty tall in this unit as well? I'm wanting to know if I need to practice prone positions with a bipod, or kneeling positions with shooting sticks. Thanks again for all the help so far.

Guest akaspecials

Well I got 175 rounds loaded up this weekend. Starting to get serious about the hunt. Going to start shooting 5 shots every day after work. What would you guys say the average shot distance is for coues in this unit? Also is the vegetation pretty tall in this unit as well? I'm wanting to know if I need to practice prone positions with a bipod, or kneeling positions with shooting sticks. Thanks again for all the help so far.

There is pretty much any habitat you want. I've hunted with a short barrel 30-30 in the thick stuff jumping bedded deer at 10-100 yards. I've also been up on buttes wishing I had something that would reach 700 yards. Practice at all possible ranges.

Thanks guys. I'll practice short and long distances then. I'm a pretty decent shot from the prone position all the way out to 600 yards, and decent off shooting sticks out to 300.