Shooter McGavin

Youth rifle poll....... Need some input

.260 Rem

6.5 Creedmoor

Plenty for deer sized and down. Light recoiling, relatively flat, good bullet weight selection, good BC, good SD, and very accurate cartridges.

You can use them for closer range elk too, even though it would not be my first choice, it will get the job done with proper bullet construction and placement.

Well I have to thank everybody who responded, all very good choices but I ended up picking a Browning x-bolt 25-06 topped with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 BC. This is a nice little rig. I took it out last week to dial it in, love it. The recoil is next to nothing compared to my 270wsm. The kids are itchin to try it out, can't wait for their Jr. deer hunt. Hope to post pics and stories and of course the ear to ear grins when they tag out.

post-2173-0-79077600-1472775780_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

I am a quarter bore fan for deer sized game. Great choice. Try the 115 HVLD and 100 TTSX. I have used both to take big bodied mulies.

I am a quarter bore fan for deer sized game. Great choice. Try the 115 HVLD and 100 TTSX. I have used both to take big bodied mulies.

Will you let him shoot halfway through the barrel before you start making sense? That's just rude sir. (I just want to know how the factory barrel performs).

Will you let him shoot halfway through the barrel before you start making sense? That's just rude sir. (I just want to know how the factory barrel performs).

What are you talking about?

Lame attempt at a joke. I assumed you were attempting a convert to AI.

Lame attempt at a joke. I assumed you were attempting a convert to AI.

No sweat. But converting to a .25-06AI is a great suggestion.....

Great looking rifle. Good choice on the quarter bore. I love mine.

I shot my cow elk last year with my 257 Weatherby and 115gr Berger HVLD's. 2 shots, and I didn't need the 2nd shot, I just wasn't sure I even hit her on the first shot. They did the job just fine. 260yrd shot on #1, 280yrd on shot 2. Both would/wear kill shots. She piled up about 20 yards from being hit on shot #2.

My handloads are not pumped up so they probably aren't much higher velocity than a 25-06.

I wouldn't use the 25-06 as my first choice on a bull elk hunt, but I wouldn't count it out either. Just limit ranges to something realistic.