SamuelClair

DIY replace bowstrings

Hey guys I ordered some hoyt bowstrings from 60x and it says on the package to not install them myself but I really want to. Does anyone have any articles or videos or just general advice on installing bowstrings. To be honest I'm just being cheap but I do this 5-6 times per year for my family so I figure at some point I should just figure out how to install them. Thanks ahead of time.

Great choice in string. I started using them a couple years ago. I think they put that on there to cover there own butts. Between YouTube and Archerytalk there should a ton of info on DIY.

• Like 1

Most, if not all, manufacturers recommend to back the limb bolts out before pressing the bow. Do not skip this step! Otherwise you are likely to over compress the limbs in your bowpress and this WILL damage them. You may get away with it a couple times, but you're still damaging the limbs. Mathews recommends 5 full limb bolt turns from bottomed on my No-cam, and I think Diamonds recommendation was 4x turns on my old black ice. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer.

Also, find a bow press that presses from as close to the cam axles as possible, like an EZ press or one of those giant X-bar thingies with the wheels. Limbs are designed to flex across their entire length, so once again you can damage them by apply force to the wrong part of the limb.

Don't put your high-dollar bow in some POS cheapie press that can ruin it.

I have a brand new EZ press I just bought and have changed about a million strings, if you are in the Phoenix area and want some help feel free to stop by. I'm out in Avondale.

I always take a picture of the cams with strings in place before I take it apart. Also have been using a Bow Master press for many years on Hoyt bows without issues. I just bought the split limb adapters for a Bow Medic press. I get just a bit more room to work with than with the Bow Master adapters.

Like mentioned above back out the limbs as far as you safely can.

Most, if not all, manufacturers recommend to back the limb bolts out before pressing the bow. Do not skip this step! Otherwise you are likely to over compress the limbs in your bowpress and this WILL damage them. You may get away with it a couple times, but you're still damaging the limbs. Mathews recommends 5 full limb bolt turns from bottomed on my No-cam, and I think Diamonds recommendation was 4x turns on my old black ice. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer.

Also, find a bow press that presses from as close to the cam axles as possible, like an EZ press or one of those giant X-bar thingies with the wheels. Limbs are designed to flex across their entire length, so once again you can damage them by apply force to the wrong part of the limb.

Don't put your high-dollar bow in some POS cheapie press that can ruin it.

I have a brand new EZ press I just bought and have changed about a million strings, if you are in the Phoenix area and want some help feel free to stop by. I'm out in Avondale.

Don't want to hijack the thread but Matt how do you like the no-cam ?

I like it a lot. Its the smoothest shooter I've ever had. Its a little heavy for my taste, but its very quiet and shoots so smooth that it feels slow. Virtually no string jump at all.

• Like 1