Sign in to follow this  
billrquimby

You saw it here first

I've been running trail-cams over there since June & spent 10 days there (in 27 that is) for the archery hunt. The bucks I've seen have been few & far between (as in none at all during our hunt! :( ), but when you do see 'em they're usually nice ones. Of course, we've been in the thick timber right north of the rim. It may be better out where they've been thinning it. We did see a ton of muley does, and a lot of them were towing fawns around.

Hey Tony,

My first elk permit for 1 was back in 67 before there were any elk there :) and then again in 70, 73 & 76.

My brother and I were brought up on 202's until we moved up in the world and got us some 33's.

I am not a stranger to the White Mountains.

My first trip up here was in 1946, when I was 10 and our family camped on the banks of the Little Colorado River below the old hatchery runways in Greer. I shot my first of eight bull elk on the mountain in 1957 and have not missed spending at least two weeks here every year since. My wife and I bought land in Greer in about 1968 and I started what has become a lifetime project of building a cabin myself. Since I retired in 1999, we have spent every April to November here.

I tell you all this to let you know I've seen all types of conditions from dry to wet years on this mountain, and I have watched our elk herds explode and our deer numbers decline to just a fraction of what they were up until the mid-1960s.

Today, my favorite pasttime is driving the roads at first light three or four times a week to watch animals. A couple of years ago, I'd see as many as 900 elk and maybe 1 or 2 deer in a 40-mile morning's drive. This year, I'm seeing 200-300 elk and about a dozen deer nearly every trip. I've seen a great many 1- to 2-year-old bucks, but not a single trophy animal.

To me, that's wonderful because it says we're getting good deer reproduction and survival again.

The deer I see are mostly near where the forest service has thinned the trees. It's not scientific, I know, but I believe thinning is bringing back our deer herd by improving habitat.

I don't get over there, but I suspect the same thing is happening on the other side of the mountain where the Rodeo/Chedesky fire thinned things five years ago.

Bill Quimby

I've posted both of these before, but don't know if you saw them, Bill. These are both 27 bucks from north of the rim in the thick stuff. Look at the sag bellies on both of them. Look like nice old bucks to me. Definetely well fed.

post-1431-1189515932_thumb.jpg

This pic was taken on July 5th. That seems like a lot of antler for that early on. I think that this is the buck my girlfriend saw on her first morning. I showed her the first picture of the 4x4 thinking it was him & she said, "ohh no, he had a lot more points than that". From her description, it was a real monster & judging by the kickers this guy has around the base I think he may have ended up a real non-typical brute.

post-1431-1189515943_thumb.jpg

Tony,

Here is a shot of me and my brothers and a nephew. I am the goober in the middle holding the pole with the pokadot cap. 1969 at Reservation Lake I think, I am a whopping 9 years old top to bottom. Probably the first boat fishing trip of my life. Oh the memories though.

Sorry about getting sidetracked about the deer Bill. I haven't been kicking those hills as long as you have but I agree with your assessment of that area. My dad used to rent a cabin from the Wiltbanks there in Greer, if we weren't able to get a cabin then we threw out the tents, which led to the idea of building a cabin. My dad spends April til the first snow flies up at Alpine, what a haven that has become.

Matty, after getting your PM, I might recommend going in December. The last few years have been so warm and dry(hopefully that will change), but we have seen alot of bucks (alot meaning more than normal but not some unbelieveable number).

If you need a place to get out of the cold while you are up in that area, you are more than welcome to stop in during

Christmas break.

Matty, after getting your PM, I might recommend going in December. The last few years have been so warm and dry(hopefully that will change), but we have seen alot of bucks (alot meaning more than normal but not some unbelieveable number).

If you need a place to get out of the cold while you are up in that area, you are more than welcome to stop in during

Christmas break.

Would love to take you up on that, but 27 is closed for the winter hunt. Guess they figure that with all the added strain the wolves are putting on the deer, they can't let the archers disturb their mating season. I've been workin some bucks around my house in 37b & 24b, so I'm thinkin about just staying home & hammering which ever one of those units I draw a pig tag in. I love that combo hunt in January.

post-1431-1189523177.jpg

Jeff

For some reason, I couldn't open the BMP you attached.

Dave,

Yup, elk were a lot scarcer in the 60s. I killed a small raghorn, but a friend of mine who was a Maricopa County deputy killed a dandy 6x6. Unit 1 is also where one of the more humorous things that has ever happened to me took place on a deer hunt. If we ever get together, remind me to tell you about it. ;)

Bill,

I have a friend who owns a cabin in Greer. His name is Mike McCormick. His cabin is in that development to the right on the main road coming into town. If I recall the turnoff is just before the campground. Do you know him? -TONY

Matty, thanks for bringing that to my attention......dang that will change my Christmas plans.

Tony, Sorry about the photo, first time to try and post a photo and no luck, I'll keep trying.

Save it as a JPG first, then use the Browse/Upload function below the message box. Once you have it uploaded, click on the file name in the Manage Current Attachments dealie and it will insert the image into your message wherever the cursor was in your reply. -TONY

Matty, thanks for bringing that to my attention......dang that will change my Christmas plans.

Tony, Sorry about the photo, first time to try and post a photo and no luck, I'll keep trying.

I was able to open it. Man that pic brings back memories. :rolleyes:

Jeff,

Okay, I got the photo to open. I had to DL it first rather than just view it by clicking the file name.

Great nostalgic shot. I have tons of old pix like that around that were taken with instamatic type cameras. Quality stinks, but they're always fun to look at again. -TONY

Whoo hooo, I did it...thanks Tony and all, for allowing me to drag down memory lane.

No thanks are necessary there. I love seeing the pictures from way back when. I truly think life was a lot better when it was simpler.... No cell phones, people worked for a living instead of living to work, husbands supported their wives & wives took care of their kids instead of leaving them in day care so they could work second jobs & afford Escalades. Families not only did things together, but most of the time actually stayed together.

I'd like to see you guys start a "Wonder Years" thread & bombard us with your memories from the 60s & 70s or whenever.

How about it Tony, you get the thread started and I'll bet we can get some good stuff???

I'll start it in the Non-hunting trip reports since there's no other appropriate section. Look for the thread title, "The Good 'Ol Days." -TONY