Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Successful 5B north limited hunt

Back in Feb I purposely put in for the limited 5B north hunt, hoping with only 30 tags I might get lucky. Knowing of a pocket herd in this unit I knew if I got drawn it was game on. Well I got tag#13. Last month I received a phone call from AES on was the lucky raffle prize of the Swarovski 15x56 binos, things were only getting better for this up coming elk hunt. I get to camp Thursday the 12th, hurry up and set up and get out to do some evening glassing. Let's just say, all you guys who have stated that the Swaros are top notch, well they are about 10 steps past that. Wow!!!! Well I didn't see any elk that evening but I knew the next day was gong to be good. Woke up early, got to the top of my hill where I shot my last years elk and started glassing. Found 15 cow elk scattered around in this bowl and 3 different bulls milling around. Put a stalk on a couple cows and by the time I thought I got to where they were they had vanished through all the junipers. Located a few more cows but were way up high and couldn't feasibly get there without losing them. As I turn and head back to a different area, a cow pops out from behind a juniper about 40 yds, as she turns towards me I squeezed off a round. The cow kind of jumps and wobbles a bit and runs off. I stand there wondering how could I have missed. I slowly walk up to where she was standing looking for signs of blood.....nothing. I can't believe I missed, I walk in the direction she ran and notice some movement between two JP's, it's her and she is wobbling back and forth. I put another round in her and she drops. I did notice some tiny droplets of blood this time. I walk up and give myself high fives and call my buddy to go get the truck. Tag it, gut it and only got it about 80 yds before I went to go flag my buddy down. Got the truck within 20 yds and got it off to Casey's in Flagstaff. Back to back years limited cow elk tags in this unit. In about 10 days from now I should be heading back up the to get my goodness.

post-2173-0-20130200-1476674721_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Congrats sounds like you got that area figured out