I have a tag for the late hunt and will hunt the 24th - 31st. I plan to hunt around Portal but would welcome any suggestions for areas to concentrate on or tips for success for this time of year. Based on what I have read the rut should be kicking in and bucks should be on the move. Should the end of my hunt be noticeably better than the start in regards to the rut?

I appreciate the help

MikeTN

Yes, I have hunted it a few times from the 15th to the 23rd and the rut was barely starting when I left. This was Horshoe Canyon/Mexican Camp area.

I've archery hunted down there a bunch in the past. Almost always the rut is in January. Been on three late rifle hunts down there , one time the rut started in Dec.

Brian

Hike into about any remote trail - they are usually up higher this time of year !

Horseshoe is most likely hike in only -- as past yrs washed all roads away - but that can make for great hunting

Deer numbers have improved overall in 29

• Like 1

Hike into about any remote trail - they are usually up higher this time of year !

Horseshoe is most likely hike in only -- as past yrs washed all roads away - but that can make for great hunting

Deer numbers have improved overall in 29

I remember many trips into Horseshoe and just before Mexican Camp the wash would be running a foot or more deep in places during late December in the late 80's early 90's.