Sign in to follow this  
Switchback

17 HMR

All my wife recently won a 17 HMR at a show (first time she as gone to one and i still have not won anything beginners luck). A friend of mine gave me a ton of 17 mach 11 bullets but the bullets are slightly smaller than those of the 17 HMR. Do any of you know much about this particular caliber? I thought i would ask here first.

Thanks for any info

one is a 17 hmr, one is a 17 hmr mach II. not the same thing. good for rabbits and such, but expensive to shoot compared to a .22

Thanks i agree its an awesome varmit gun but the shells are much more expensive than the 22

i own the heavy barrel marlin model they sale at walmart and i love it, the hmr that is. killed a yote at a hundred and twenty yards with one shot and he dropped stone dead. you can hunt javelina with a 22 mag and i believe a 17 hmr can do the trick

Yes like they said there are two flavors for .17 cal.

.17HMR that is a 22mag necked down and the .17 Mach II which is a .22LR necked down.

I've used my .17HMR for taking a turkey, although the AZGFD just changed fall hunts to shooting shot only so I can't do that again, but we've used them on squirrels quite well. Little overkill but gets the job done. Accurate as all getout up to 150yds. And I mean at 50-100 no drop what so ever and tiny tiny group. All that from a cheap Savage, light barrel, plastic stock .17HMR topped with a $30 scope. Can't beat that.

Have fun they are a blast to shoot. And yes... great varmint gun.

cmc

It is a very fun gun. I love mine. Made a number of amazing shots on varmints. Amazingly accurate! I did some trigger work on mine and upgraded the scope because it was so accurate.

Enjoy

check out rimfirecentral.com for tons of info.