Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Hackberrys?

Oneshot's post on the 'desert treats' got me thinking...... Are Hackberry's edible? When quail and deer hunting this year, I noticed LOTS of them this year in the washes that I normally hunt. (Lots of quail, too! ;) )

I actually smashed a couple of the orange/ripe berries in my fingers and tasted them. They seemed super sweet. Has anyone ever eaten them?

S.

Yes they are edible. Some trees seem to be much sweeter than other trees. So if you find a group of trees, try some from each tree and see which taste best. There is surprising variability in flavor.

• Like 1

Not sure if these are the same thing or not but....

When I was in elementary school there was a tree with small reddish-orange berries. Somewhat looks like them in the picture but a little more reddish. We would take them off the tree, peel the small layer of "shell" and we would just pop em in our mouths. They tasted like tea. We would chew them because they had somewhat of a hard texture. I went back to my old school not too long ago and the tree was still there. Not sure what kind of tree it is? Would this hackberry tree be one to be planted on a school yard?