Sign in to follow this  
AzTrapper

Upcoming Bear hunt Unit-1

I am leaving Thursday night for the upcoming Oct-5 Bear hunt. We are going to camp close to Greer and was wondering if anyone else is going to be up in that area? I will be driving a 1983 Black Chev. Suburban, there might be a couple of other people coming up as well they can't make up their minds. We will be doing a lot of calling to see if we can find one without cubs, I was up there for the early hunt and called in 3 different bear all with cubs. If your going to be in that area maybe we can meet up for coffee or something.

AzTrapper

I was thinking about doing the same thing in another unit. Its archery that opens friday right? Are you using a predator call to get them in? I'm new to this bear stuff but I'd like to get one. I had a bear at 40 yards a few weeks ago but the season wasn't open yet. Good Luck

I was thinking about doing the same thing in another unit. Its archery that opens friday right? Are you using a predator call to get them in? I'm new to this bear stuff but I'd like to get one. I had a bear at 40 yards a few weeks ago but the season wasn't open yet. Good Luck

Yes we are going to be using calls, we are using electronic calls do in part to the amount of time on each stand. Myself I use a Foxpro electronic call and spend about a hour on each stand and leave the call running the entire time. Bears from what I have found both in the field and reading can be slow to come sometimes and if the sound stops will go to doing something else most of the time. They sometimes will come in at a full run or charge as well so having the call 50 yards away with a decoy is not all bad either. They are a lot of fun to call in. Make sure your have a mountain lion tag as wellas we have had several come in also. I also try and carry 2 guns on each stand one for bear and one for bobcat and things like that. Most of the time we will pass on most predators but bobcat fur is worth so much it is hard to pass on them so a shotgun or 17hmr. work just fine out to 50-70 yards. A nice bobcat from unit-1 will bring $400-500 dollars which will buy a lot of gas and or another trail camera or something else. When we stop to make a stand we try and put each person 50 yards or so apart so we can cover the area a little better.

AzTrapper

I have this caller, the Cass Creek Predator call. I hope this will do the trick. What type of calls should be good this time of year? Rabbits? fawn distress? I have been trying to get into this but I must be doing something wrong, i dunno, but I am going to keep trying.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...t20825&rid=

I also have a Cass Creek Predator call. They are a good call, I just upgraded to a Foxpro because of the different sounds you can get loaded on them. If I was using the Cass Creek this time of year for most stands I would use the Fawn, and rabbit sounds for bear and larger cats and rodent sounds for fox and bobcat. But don't be surprized to have bobcat come into the other sounds as well. I would bet your not doing anything "wrong" just keep calling and watching you may be surprized. If you want after this bear hunt maybe we can meet out in the field someplace and do some calling. I live in Sahuarita south of tucson but am willing to do some driving to meet up with you for a day or so of predator calling. If you have a calling club I would also say join as most clubs have people that are very good and willing to help out as well.

AzTrapper

A nice bobcat from unit-1 will bring $400-500 dollars which will buy a lot of gas and or another trail camera or something else. When we stop to make a stand we try and put each person 50 yards or so apart so we can cover the area a little better.

AzTrapper

Wish I'd have know that in Aug. I walked right past one at less than 30 yards & paid him no mind. On my way to my treestand. Are fox pelts worth anything? I've seen a few of those over in 27 too.

A nice bobcat from unit-1 will bring $400-500 dollars which will buy a lot of gas and or another trail camera or something else. When we stop to make a stand we try and put each person 50 yards or so apart so we can cover the area a little better.

AzTrapper

Wish I'd have know that in Aug. I walked right past one at less than 30 yards & paid him no mind. On my way to my treestand. Are fox pelts worth anything? I've seen a few of those over in 27 too.

Well a August bobcat would not have been legal I believe the season opened in Sept. We always wait a little till Oct. then you still will have a lower grade pelt. Fox last year were around the 30-45 dollar range. So letting the Bobcat walk by was a good thing!

AzTrapper

AzTrapper

Well a August bobcat would not have been legal I believe the season opened in Sept. We always wait a little till Oct. then you still will have a lower grade pelt. Fox last year were around the 30-45 dollar range. So letting the Bobcat walk by was a good thing!

AzTrapper

The regs say it opened Aug 1. We would have been legal.

AzTrapper

AzTrapper

The regs say it opened Aug 1. We would have been legal.

Sorry you are right my mistake

AzTrapper

AzTrapper

No sweat. Where do you sell your pelts anyway? Anybody by coon skins anymore?

AzTrapper

No sweat. Where do you sell your pelts anyway? Anybody by coon skins anymore?

We ship our fur to NORTH AMERICAN FUR AUCTIONS, Yes they and other do buy raccoon skins. they are put up different than most fur as you have to put a "window" in them so they can be graded. The Arizona Trappers Assoc. also have a auction but most of the time prices are not as high but you do get your money right a way. Shipping to NAFA can be a waiting game if your fur is sold right away, they have a auction every month I believe so it can take several months for your fur to sell.

Trapper... if your still trapping, how can I hook up w/you for a day? its intrigued my for 30yrs!

Trapper... if your still trapping, how can I hook up w/you for a day? its intrigued my for 30yrs!

W.O.T

The only trapping i do anymore is damage work on private land, My back and knees do not allow me to push as hard as I use to. If I get any calls I will let you know ( I will save your post ) Doing private damage is something I enjoy as you are trying to catch one or maybe a family unit.

By the way the bear hunt did not go well the wind was unreal around Greer and that does not help calling. I did try and no luck but I did get to see lots of elk and deer so tha always make getting out worth the trip.

AzTrapper